Whats your Latency? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

you think that would really help much?

Should do!
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Lenovo g550. 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6600. 2 gigs of ram.
    xubuntu. Not even slightly optimised for xwax.
    audio 4 dj.

5ms normally - so I can surf and whatever without any problems. I'm lazy.
    2ms previously - had occasional pops and clicks while alt tabbed doing other shit. If just mixing I had no issues.

I bet I could reach 1ms if I put some work into my setup.
    Wait.. You're running Traktor on Linux? Didn't know this was possible... Been wondering how it would run on there if it was possible!
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol

It's probably possible with WINE but I dare say it won't be overly stable and the latency will be huge.
    I'm using xwax.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Acer Aspire 7735Z Dual Core T4200, 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM @ 12ms
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

5ms on Serato Scratch Live with a 13" mbp 2011 2.4/4gb rm
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    It's probably possible with WINE but I dare say it won't be overly stable and the latency will be huge.
    I'm using xwax.
    I'm afraid it's not possible for many reasons, the first being the lack of multichannel audio under WINE:
    http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11764

The second would be that the NI installer won't probably allow you to install the app in the managed environment. I have few ideas what to try to cheat it, but is it really worth to ...

I'm using foobar2000 under OS X with Wine as the audio player of choice and it's working reasonably fine. There are rare hangs of the app, but sometimes it runs for days with no glitches at all. A funny fact is that the CPU load from foobar+wine playing music is usually is in the 1-2-3% mark. That all changes once i start the visualization plugins (spectograms, peakmeters, the eq bars) - WINE immediately jumps to like 20-30% LOL. Can you now imagine what would Traktor's new multicolor waveforms do ... os x native is having hard time to process them, the emulation would probably kill the whole thing

WINE & Foobar can see the Kontrol S4 as an audio device and can play fine when it's specified (defaults is "Primary Sound Driver"). However, once I activate the "Convert Stereo to 4 channels" plugin, the sound disappears. Have to disable the 4ch plugin to have it back. Switching on/off is stable, i'm impressed

Could it be that there are greater chances for success if you try running Traktor OS X under linux with some os x emulator for linux?

Dell XPS Studio 15 (1645 model) dual 2.8GHz Intel T9800, 4GB Ram @ 1333, 120GB OCZ SSD, ATI Radeon 3670 512 MB (gets stressed sometimes with my 1080p res but it works, downside of my comp forsure), still only worth about 600$ nowadays tho, audio 8 running tsp with 2 timecoded 12's and 1 sample and 1 additional deck not timcoded (alot of audio going in and out ahahah) on driver version 2.0.15. processing 12 + output 7.8 = 19.8, and still getting the odd crackle , though my dell is said to have some motherboard dpc latency issues and usb port issues, im working on getting these problems sorted out as they wernt an issue at all untill i got my audio 8 (upgrade from m audio connectiv) and then the problems got a bit worse with tsp 2.

Tech Student

Now I wish I could back up my words, but I can't find the right reference at the moment.

I remember a discussion about latency in the gearslutz forum(not the reference I was thinking about). Anyway, latency down to 2ms wasn't 2ms in practice, since high-end d/a converters add 1.5 ms latency by themself. So in a situation where you have both input and output latency 3ms latency comes from just the a/d d/a conversion.

There are more things to measure latency then to just check what your settings says because there will be more latency than that, and the drivers don't report the full story.

So anyone stating 2ms could well be 10ms in practice (depending on how you measure it), which makes comparing systems hard if we haven't established and agreed on a measuring method.

Just saying

Tech Guru

just wondering, when you people start to notice the latency? what values does Traktor display when you hear it.

for me, @44.1khz & 256 buffer size i'm about to, but can not say that i do notice. The 128 & 196 buffer size is like the same to me. these setting are a total of about 10-11ms, which is 1/100 of a second. even if that grows to 2/100 of a second because of additional/hidden factors, I think my senses and comprehension are not likely to register this

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast