Where to start? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Tech Guru

Sort of... Its whatever works easier for you... A lot of people trash talk about fl studio but with the same vst instruments you can make the exact same sounds... I find fl easier to work around and now with the ipad version might start playing with it more, then to master/cut up/compress and limit i use samplitude music studio as i got it as a present and is quite simple to use, I think its whatever works best for you with production... People only judge you by the outcome so if it means producing something on a iphone how will they ever know...
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...ght=rapid+gear

check that thread too... learn from our addictions
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    my mobile rig (currently -- not things ive sold) consists of an s4/midifighter/x1 and does everything i need

at home i route the signal into ableton and use my apc/mpk then send it back out to the s4

(all in all, not including computer-which has a harddrive upgrade/mod--?.... ~2k)

my speakers cost me roughly under $700 +random lights/cables and everythign else''

so say all and all? ive spent prob about 2k-2500.

that leaves alot of money for you to buy tunes + bitches n stuff

(an analogue route might cost you a bit more, as many new mixers cost a few thousand dollars)
    Thanks for a price range!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    my mobile rig (currently -- not things ive sold) consists of an s4/midifighter/x1 and does everything i need

at home i route the signal into ableton and use my apc/mpk then send it back out to the s4

(all in all, not including computer-which has a harddrive upgrade/mod--?.... ~2k)

my speakers cost me roughly under $700 +random lights/cables and everythign else''

so say all and all? ive spent prob about 2k-2500.

that leaves alot of money for you to buy tunes + bitches n stuff

(an analogue route might cost you a bit more, as many new mixers cost a few thousand dollars)

Pretty pointless setup for a beginner though dont you think?? Its like going out and buying a airplane for a million and realising you dont like flying......
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

i was just showing him how much ive spent in my quest for a perfect setup...

i started with the vestax spin and djay ---- then added an x1 + traktor and that suited me fine for like 9 months.... and that was maybe 400 total?

just shwoing it can be done with WAYY under 6k (and made it a point to show that setup is NOT what i started with)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Convert

I'm just glad to hear I'll have enough money afterwards to hopefully pay for things like.. Food.

Tech Guru

Well lets just make it clear that the poor person doesnt need to waste 6000 quid yet... 500 is more then enough to start with...and thats still a lot for a hobby just being started... For 6000 id be more interested in upgrading my car or going on holiday ha...

Quote Originally Posted by dj stifffy View Post
    Well lets just make it clear that the poor person doesnt need to waste 6000 quid yet...
    Amen... although
    I'm about to head into college
    (By the way could $6,000 cover essentials without buying top of the line equipment as starter gear? <I get that number from the calculations of 12 hours of work, money/hour, days working>)
    I may be wrong but it sounds less like you have a bunch of spare change and more like you're 18, have a summer job, and intend to spend everything you make on gear, eh? If that's the case... don't. A couple hundred bucks will suffice.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    Amen... although

I may be wrong but it sounds less like you have a bunch of spare change and more like you're 18, have a summer job, and intend to spend everything you make on gear, eh? If that's the case... don't. A couple hundred bucks will suffice.
    Full time job actually, and during college I intend to work when I can which will still give me at least 40 hour work week.

But yea, I'm not looking to blow it all gear to use as a beginning.

I started with a a copy of traktor pro my mate gave me and my keyboard. Realised i enjoyed mixing so searched ebay for an all in one controller. Found a Numark onmi For $300 (researching bought me to this site). So i decided to Buy it. Once i got the feel for the controller and learned the basics of mixing more questions arose so i searched the forums for help. this lead me to purchasing the S4 (by no means am i saying get an S4, this is for you to research and decide for yourself what controller or analogue mixer you may want to purchase one day)

and as im still in the early stages im running it through my surround sound system in my lounge. as im yet to purchase some home moniters.

to cut along story short mate.
    investments to date..
    - 1st Dj software - free
    - Laptop $900 (for day to day use as well as DJing)
    - 1st basic controller - $300 (yet to sell)
    - Current all in one controller Including software - $900
    - headphones - $50 off ebay

TOTAL - $2150
    Last edited by Zaniac; 07-04-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast