Where to start?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Tech Convert

Default Where to start?

Hey there,

I was browsing around the internet and found this forum, it seems to be a very promising place. I'm about to head into college and I figured that if I'm going to have a fresh start I might as well get serious about my musical interests. I've been playing around with software like FL Studios. Finally(!) I have received a job and I usually work 12+ hour shifts. I put in many hours for multiple reasons, mainly to get money to purchase things that I want, and to escape my problems.

So like I said I'm going to go to College soon and I'd love to be able to be able to DJ at some parties. Either way, I've got myself a keyboard, it has 5 octaves so it's not exactly small.. At all.

I'm not sure where to start out on getting the ball rolling. I got a lot I need to learn about, and I'd love any help I could get. Also I have to buy a laptop for college and I was wondering if it's possible to DJ off of a laptop (Or is it actually normal.. I've seen people like Deadmau5 use a mac) and if so what type of laptop you would recommend.

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. Imagine me like a brand new whiteboard. No software, no equipment, no accounts, no books, no nothing.

inb4 deadmau5 jokes
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

But yeah on topic, basically, you want a DJ software, sync buttons and something to go nuts with. Try getting the Demo of traktor or VDJ and play about with it a bit, like it? go buy yourself a cheap controller to control everything you see on screen instead of having to click a mouse

When youve done all above said, come back to the thread
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Guru

This is what everyone will tell you.... Waste all your money on a top of the range mac (which in theory you can run software on a much cheaper machine... I use a netbook and play live at least once a week and its fine... Hasnt crashed in over a year since i upgraded from traktor 1.2.4 i think) you'll also be told to get the biggest and best controllers on the market... (dont listen to people... You dont need a controller yet), for software everyone will say get traktor or serato... I recommend trying a few demo versions, virtual dj is a good start, never tried the demo version of traktor but using traktor pro for a few years....

In theory you can dj with just a laptop and software... Check out www.digitaldjtips.net and before people say spam... I dont actually work for them they just have a load of articles that id recommend about laptop setups...

Hope this stuff helps.... If i was you id download a demo of software on whatever computer you have now and just "mess about" experiment and try stuff, you can turn on sync and just play with blending songs and see if it is for you....

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    inb4 deadmau5 jokes
    Hehe, he was the only one who came to mind when I was thinking about peeps with laptops who DJ. I specifically remember four chicks who were wasted flipping the camera off during the picture. :P

^words of wisdom.

play. and have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Guru

But yeah on topic, basically, you want a DJ software, sync buttons and something to go nuts with. Try getting the Demo of traktor or VDJ and play about with it a bit, like it? go buy yourself a cheap controller to control everything you see on screen instead of having to click a mouse

Someone not saying macbook, traktor 2 and s4.... I love you mr hoodless :eek:
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

You're gonna need some tape decks with pitch faders if you wanna be a real DJ.

Seriously though, try out Traktor/VDJ/Serato demos, then decide what kind of control interface would work for you and find a product that matches.

Tech Convert

I'll get the demo of Traktor and try it out, do you have a recommended brand of controller?

Quote Originally Posted by dj stifffy View Post
    This is what everyone will tell you.... Waste all your money on a top of the range mac (which in theory you can run software on a much cheaper machine... I use a netbook and play live at least once a week and its fine... Hasnt crashed in over a year since i upgraded from traktor 1.2.4 i think) you'll also be told to get the biggest and best controllers on the market... (dont listen to people... You dont need a controller yet), for software everyone will say get traktor or serato... I recommend trying a few demo versions, virtual dj is a good start, never tried the demo version of traktor but using traktor pro for a few years....

In theory you can dj with just a laptop and software... Check out www.digitaldjtips.net and before people say spam... I dont actually work for them they just have a load of articles that id recommend about laptop setups...

Hope this stuff helps.... If i was you id download a demo of software on whatever computer you have now and just "mess about" experiment and try stuff, you can turn on sync and just play with blending songs and see if it is for you....

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Thanks! It really is a lot of help. I'm going to grab the demo of Traktor like I stated above. And I will check out that website right now! What's probably going to happen is I'm going to dive into my work (By the way could $6,000 cover essentials without buying top of the line equipment as starter gear? <I get that number from the calculations of 12 hours of work, money/hour, days working>) and whenever I'm not working or sleeping, I'm practicing DJ'ing. By the end of this year I hope to be DJ'ing at parties. :3

Tech Guru

Not sure about american prices but yeah that would be plenty... Dont buy stuff because people tell you too though... Buy stuff as you feel you'll need it as otherwise ull just be wasting money, plus you'll need lots of money for music my music is worth more then my setup

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast