SL2 vs. SL3 for recording?

Default SL2 vs. SL3 for recording?

Looking at buying one or the other (ebay) to use at home so I'm familiar w/ serato for marketability purposes, and perhaps to play out with when I got used to it. Was doing some research and could use your input. The one reason I am considering dropping more on the SL3 is for the record out. I could just use the record out on my mixer at home if i got the SL2, i suppose, but i would still want to record my mixes when i play out.

While i have the one deck version of SSL on my lappy, I'm basically completely noobish when it comes to Serato. I say that just to show you where im coming from. does SSL not have its own internal recording? that would seem odd. if it did, i would prob just go with the less expensive option. thx for the input.

Tech Guru

I just got an SL2. I wish I would've gotten the SL3.

Currently to record I use a line out from my mixer and then plug it into my computer and record with audacity. It's really not recommended to run both apps, but on my 2011 Macbook it's been ok, but it's a hassle to get the volumes correct. Kinda wish I just had the SL3 and let Serato do all the recording.

Is it possible without the SL3 sure it is. I got the SL2 brand new for 400 bucks so I jumped on it. I'm pretty sure though the aux line is needed for bridge support.

Also for recording if you have rane 68 or TTM 57, then ableton will record all of your EQs and faders. JesC has a youtube vid where he recorded in ableton and then midi mapped his mixer to ableton. So that could be another creative way to record a "mixtape". If I had the extra cash I'd get the SL3. If I was tight, I'd get the SL2 and just record with audacity with a line-in.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Thx dude. Again, im not too familiar w/ serato-it was my understanding that the only thing the SL3 had was an extra out that you could route back into your computer, where you would still be recording with audacity or a like program?

Yeah for the Bridge, or internal recording in SSL, you need the SL3 or SL4. You can use SL1 and SL2 and route the record out through the line-in on your computer, or another audio interface for recording.

Another thing to keep in mind, SL1 and SL3 currently have a different software version than SL2 or SL4. So if you are going places that have SL4 or SL2 installed already, it's going to be different software versions than SL1 or SL3.

Doing the research myself at the moment and will be making a similar purchase soon. It looks like if you can afford it, the SL3 or SL4 is the way to go. For personal use, the SL1 is still the best bang for your buck. SL2 new (unless you get a great deal) is going for about what you can get an SL3 for used, and to me that's a no brainer (SL3).

Do what you will, but if you can afford it, my recommendation at the moment is the SL3. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can swing the SL3, or will be going with the SL1 otherwise.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

Big C

I thought the same about the SL1 and SL2 prices. The SL1 going for around 300-350 used. Then Guitar Center had 100 bucks off any 499.00 purchase. At that point getting the SL2 for 399 used was the best way to go. Musician Friends price matched another store and dropped it to 438.00 for the SL2. So that's still quite less than the SL3.

So if your tight, I would squeeze out the SL2 over the 1.

you can use the SL-2 to record, you just have to get creative and route the audio thru the main board. I just flipped my SL-3 and picked up a TTM-57SL and I'm the happiest camper. Cant wait to record my 1st mixtape with full automation
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

JesC

What about your DJM-700?????

Did you swtich just for the mixtape feature.

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Big C

I thought the same about the SL1 and SL2 prices. The SL1 going for around 300-350 used. Then Guitar Center had 100 bucks off any 499.00 purchase. At that point getting the SL2 for 399 used was the best way to go. Musician Friends price matched another store and dropped it to 438.00 for the SL2. So that's still quite less than the SL3.

So if your tight, I would squeeze out the SL2 over the 1.
    Yeah that is a valid point. Another thing to consider, and it's a consideration for myself, is that if any of your friends use an SL3 or SL1, it's different software than SL2 or SL4. (Different versions of SSL).

I personally have a couple friends who use the SL1 box. So in light of bringing my own box if I were to play over their place, being able to just bring my computer/timecode is where it's at.

That being said, if you are on a budget and aren't looking at other setups, if you can get a deal on the SL2 I'd say go for it.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

I wouldn't worry too much about the different versions. They are both identical to each other. If you open up one with an SL2 and play at home. Then open the other one and play on your friends SL1 it will look exactly the same. Same played tracks highlighted, same crates, etc. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    JesC

What about your DJM-700?????

Did you swtich just for the mixtape feature.
    I still have the DJM-700, will be working on the video shortly.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |