ableton or traktor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ableton or traktor

howdy. now i know this is a traktor heavy board but i was looking for some feedback concerning going the traktor route versus the ableton route...which do you prefer and why?

and now for a little background. started on traditional ttable mixer setup, moved to ssl about 2 years ago and love it. my biggest obsticle right now is that i am using a 1.33 g4 powerbook and all the minimum specs seem to be catching up to me very quickly.

thanks for your insight.

Tech Mentor

traktor is probably what you are going to want traktor. your experience with vinyl is going to make that switch pretty easy. however, ableton offers some awesome and unique options. if you have done production, or plan on producing, it is definatly an option. i choose traktor because i wanted a more traditional feel.

i will not be doing any production...i simply wont have the time. the only real reason i am drawn towards ableton is that it still runs with the specs of my powerbook. i do have a pc desktop that would work until i am able to upgrade my laptop. traktor does seem to be more dj oriented.

Both have their flaws, thats why i use Traktor routed into Ableton to fill in some of the gaps of each program.

i have yet to come across a perfect software. it seems like i am just wanting a little more. at this point it is probably more realistic for me to drop some more ram in my laptop and get some kind of midi control that would work for both ssl and ableton/traktor for whenever i get there. plus that would probably allow enough time for the midi and controllerism explosion to settle a bit. its hard with all the cool stuff coming out to stay focused...at least for a part timer such as myself.

Hi,

I have tracktor 3 installed and am thinking of getting Ableton too,I've seen the tutorial of how to getting them to work together,but is it possible to get them both working together on the same pc?

Thanks,
    Regards,
    Martin..

Hey Earwax, if hardware already seems to be the bottleneck with Traktor, I should be carefull with trying to tackle Ableton, as that Ableton can be causing very high machine loads (CPU & mem).

When this is passed, it just depends what style you are performing. Often with the more transy/progressive/minimal styles, people tend to opt for Ableton.
    Other styles tend to go for traktor and other DVS packages
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by earwax View Post
    howdy. now i know this is a traktor heavy board but i was looking for some feedback concerning going the traktor route versus the ableton route...which do you prefer and why?
    From your other posts it sounds like you have Ableton Live already, and it works fine for you. The way you might be able to decide is to DL the demo versions of each package and actually try them out on your hardware.

As for the artistic decisions, they really are two sides of the same problem. I love Traktor's ability to throw on another track at the drop of a hat, but the FX (especially the reverb) in Traktor are really poor quality, and the ability to run more than two soundsources at once is really only possible with a MIDI controller - doing three decks by mouse will never be smooth and efficient.

Ableton Live can trigger as many sound sources as you like, has excellent effects but s a pain to setup and launch tracks from - there's a lot of preparation beforehand needed for each track you are aiming to play. That's a big investment in time and effort where Traktor is free and easy.

Both are great. My personal advice is start with Traktor, and once you find yourself getting limited move to Ableton Live (or a mixture of both). Once Decadance is up to speed as a VST plugin, the "perfect" solution might be to run that inside Live, but so far it's a bit lacking.

There, adding new choices at the last moment hopefully made this a harder decision! Choose sometning, commit to it, learn it's depths and us this knowledge on the next package.

I also heared you would be able to use djDecks as a VST.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post

Both are great. My personal advice is start with Traktor, and once you find yourself getting limited move to Ableton Live (or a mixture of both). Once Decadance is up to speed as a VST plugin, the "perfect" solution might be to run that inside Live, but so far it's a bit lacking.

There, adding new choices at the last moment hopefully made this a harder decision! Choose sometning, commit to it, learn it's depths and us this knowledge on the next package.
    well put. its easy to get caught up in all that is available. however, being that the time i have to devote to this is minimal as what it used to be, i think my best course of action is to just keep it simple and have fun. right now i am going to stick with ssl. the vci-300 is looking good to me as a good, simple plug n play that will allow me to seperate myself from the massive t-table stand anchor and still be compatible with ssl. we'll see, fortunately i am in no hurry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast