Microphones and Phantom Power
    Tech Mentor

Default Microphones and Phantom Power

Hey for anyone that might be more familiar with Microphones than me I really need your help!! So I just bought a Gatt LD5 Condenser Microphone there because I heard they where a good and affordable microphone for recording my voice on my radio show. So I get back and I plug in my microphone to my Audio 8 to route it through Ableton to record the voice and have did this with other mics not a problem before hand.

FOr some reason its not working and everything I try is just not getting any signal through. Then I get told it could be because its phantom power etc.
    I did not have a clue what this was before and still do not understand what differance makes as I bought this from someone elses advice thinking it would just plug in and work like the other mics I used did.

Any advice or what do I need to get this working with my audio 8 and ableton!

You're going to need a dynamic microphone, which doesn't require phantom power, since the Audio 8 doesn't provide phantom power for condenser microphones.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Or a pre amp with phantom power and line output. But probably better returning it and getting a dynamic mic.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Default Microphones and Phantom Power

Either return it or get yourself a cheap behringer mic mixer and plug the audio 8 into one of the channels on the behringer and then plug the output of the behringer into your sound. You can pick them up cheap as chips on eBay.

Tech Mentor

ahh would a dynamic mic be better than a condenser for recording voice? Also could you link me to anything i need to get the mic working. Cheers in advance.

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/mi...condenser.html

vs

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/mi...s/dynamic.html

Some condensor microphones have the capacity to slide a battery into the body in lieu of running phantom from a preamp.
    "Tell me what I need to be a DJ so I can f*ck the prom queen"
    Biru on Soundcloud
    Biru on Facebook

Tech Mentor

Thanks for all teh advice. Really appreciated. Have decided to get a Behringer PS400 Phantom Power Supply tomorrow if at all possible. The condenser mic was bought second hand so could not return as such.
    Thanks again

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by manus View Post
    Thanks for all teh advice. Really appreciated. Have decided to get a Behringer PS400 Phantom Power Supply tomorrow if at all possible. The condenser mic was bought second hand so could not return as such.
    Thanks again

Go with this right here...

I bought an M Audio Nova microphone and this phantom power supply, and man is that shit heavy duty!
    ive had it for almost 3 years, been recordin with the same equipment