First Gig few questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default First Gig few questions

So... I feel prepared for this event, been practicing in the bedroom for bout 10-11 months and have officially accumulated enough gear and practice to get it on! So my first gig is going to be a relatively small sweet 16 party and im scheduled to be mixing for 4 hrs from 7 to 11. ive done several 1 hr mixes but no more after that usually stopping due to time constraints. May be a dumb question but im guessing that the vibes on the dance floor should make it easy to continue feeding there hungry hears......but am i wrong my library is fairly larrge with top 40's BS for the event..so that part shouldnt be an issue..i guess im just worried about getting burnt out or something..... any tips of any kind are greatly appreciated. oh yea what would you think is a fair price for that? located in the US

Tech Mentor

In my opinion you are too much prepared

What i can add is stay calm and do it simple ( people just want music so they can dance and... )

cheers and good luck

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dj View Post
    In my opinion you are too much prepared

What i can add is stay calm and do it simple ( people just want music so they can dance and... )

cheers and good luck
    +1. i played at some frat parties and its pretty simple. drop a big hit everyone knows and run the whole song if you need a breather...

beers help too...

typically i charge about $200 for 3hours (play time) so that covers setup and takedown.

holidays you can charge more. float $50 an hr and you should get it nbd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Convert

Thanks for the responses guys, its for an ex co worker of my girlfriends and i have no lighting effects so i let it ride for $150. figured its my first gig and it seemed a bit reasonable. and thats the one thing ill do differently then my typical mix i think is let the songs play out fairly longer then i normally would. thanks again guys should be a fun time

Tech Mentor

Mix top 40's with club for the first and last hours and the middle to let songs play out and mix em in. Just don't cut the songs up too much
    Audio 2 Dj VCI 100 Ion Discover Dj Ihome headphones Traktor Pro Compaq desktop/ gateway laptop Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/EDM-El...06094132799412
    http://www.facebook.com/djdynasty17
    Email: edmfreaks@yahoo.com

Fair enough if it's for a mate and all that, but as a general rule don't undervalue yourself, it's almost impossible to raise your prices, so start charging what you think you're worth from the start!
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild View Post
    Fair enough if it's for a mate and all that, but as a general rule don't undervalue yourself, it's almost impossible to raise your prices, so start charging what you think you're worth from the start!
    I agree. That's very very cheap for a 4 hr party. The cheapest you want to go with all your gigs would be 200$. In this case I'd charge 250$
    Last edited by Dj Dynasty; 07-09-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo
    Audio 2 Dj VCI 100 Ion Discover Dj Ihome headphones Traktor Pro Compaq desktop/ gateway laptop Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/EDM-El...06094132799412
    http://www.facebook.com/djdynasty17
    Email: edmfreaks@yahoo.com

Tech Wizard

but in a situtation where you need a first gig, you cant charge alot or else some other better DJ will undermine you with better skills.
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher
    -QTX sound Powered 150 WATT Speakers

Tech Convert

yea I asked what she had in mind and she said she heard 100 from one and 150 from the other...and i wasnt trying to lose my opportunity by telling her i was thinking like 200, so i went with 150 especially keeping in mind i have no lighting equipment yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast