help w/ picking out a cheap setup
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default help w/ picking out a cheap setup

after spending 2010 and 2011 thinking i was going to save money to have the club setup of cdj1000mk3 / cds2000's and xone92 / djm800. i realized that as a full time student only making $400 a montht that this wasnt going to happen. so now i decided that i need something cheap to start practicing mixing & beatmatching. i'm looking for hardware, not digital. i'm looking for a 2ch djm/mixer that i can plug into my computer and record my mixes. any cdjs that you recommend are fine. any mixers recommended are fine as long as i can mix two songs & record the sessions on my computer. money doesnt matter since it wont be as expensive as the setups i mentioned above. i need something i can save up and get by Christmas or before for myself. =) recording my mix through my computer is important* and please tell me how i can tell which mixers will allow me to record thru my comp & note that i will be mixing with my headphones

---edit----
    items i have found that i would consider cause of price but do not know how i can tell if i can record my mixes thru the computer

1. $600 cdjs & djm - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Numark-MIXDECK-Universal-Dj-System/dp/B0038YX386/ref=sr_1_162?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1310266802&sr=1-162"]Amazon.com: Numark MIXDECK Universal Dj System: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dPxiGbOIL.@@AMEPARAM@@41dPxiGbOIL[/ame]

2. $530 cdjs/djm - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Dj-CDMIX800-Professional-Turntable/dp/B004DR3JZ4/ref=sr_1_189?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1310266965&sr=1-189"]Amazon.com: Mr. Dj CDMIX800 Professional Dj Turntable Mixer Complete Package: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418M7PY5REL.@@AMEPARAM@@418M7PY5REL[/ame]

3. $345 cdjs/mixer [ i can get this one this month if i learn how to tell if i can record my mixes] [ame="http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-Supply-ENCORE-1000/dp/B004STXSZS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_1"]Amazon.com: American DJ Supply ENCORE 1000 DJ Package: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cXVTnGVbL.@@AMEPARAM@@51cXVTnGVbL[/ame]

last option .....
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Heath-Xone-Professional-Channel/dp/B002AT8DHG/ref=sr_1_419?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1310267773&sr=1-419"]Amazon.com: Allen & Heath Xone:22 Professional 2 Channel DJ Mixer: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BBSQZGgjL.@@AMEPARAM@@41BBSQZGgjL[/ame]

with 2x CDJ-200 will be like 1g which is also fine.
    Last edited by cutflow; 07-09-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Skip all of that stuff honestly- it is all garbage except the xone 22. Just buy used if you want hardware- look on craigslist I have gotten incredible deals on craigslist in nyc. I can't tell you how many CDJ1000MK3s I've bought for $500 each (and this was before the 2000s/900s came out), Technics for $100-$150 each, and all in all some ridiculous deals on gear on craigslist living in manhattan. There are so many deals I actually supported myself for a little while just buying and selling dj gear on craigslist. If you need a cheap mixer there are ALWAYS great deals on Vestax mixers for 100 or less. There are always people getting rid of entire DJ packages with mixers/TTs/CDJs and you can make some offers and get a deal.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Skip all of that stuff honestly- it is all garbage except the xone 22. Just buy used if you want hardware- look on craigslist I have gotten incredible deals on craigslist in nyc. I can't tell you how many CDJ1000MK3s I've bought for $500 each (and this was before the 2000s/900s came out), Technics for $100-$150 each, and all in all some ridiculous deals on gear on craigslist living in manhattan. There are so many deals I actually supported myself for a little while just buying and selling dj gear on craigslist. If you need a cheap mixer there are ALWAYS great deals on Vestax mixers for 100 or less. There are always people getting rid of entire DJ packages with mixers/TTs/CDJs and you can make some offers and get a deal.
    yeah im looking at that xone22, im thinking of putting it on credit card which i dont think i'd be able to do on craiglist, plus i rather have new stuff and its just for mixing/beatmatching. now if u look at the xone22 pics, theres a record L & R hole in the back. would you know what cable will fit to go in there then to pc.

u need turntables so some cheap ones of those will do fine my brother usies 'belt drive' ones and they have some lag but u can compinsate for it by moving the record early or whatever u need to do
    if you clear a dance floor in 30 seconds flat; u dont need them! but they need muzic!

most importantly GET ALL THE BITCHES!
    -Yours truly, The Duck. We all love to f**k a Duck.

Honestly craigslist is your best friend.

Figure out what you want. I wouldn't touch any other CDJ than Pioneer or Denon myself, and that's because the other brands have a proven track record of not lasting well.

The CDJ-200's also have a lot of limitations compared to other models, but are decent to start with.

If your budget is around $1000, these are the options I'd look at:

1) CDJ-400's. You can find a pair used for around $800-$900 or so. In fact, there is someone selling a pair here. Get a cheap mixer and upgrade it later.

2) You can get a decent set of turntables for less than a grand if you buy used. Numark TTX, Stanton ST-150's, Technics SL-1200's, Vestax PDX 2000 or 3000. You can always pick up a cheap mixer and upgrade that later. And I've seen Serato and Traktor boxes going for cheap if you want a DVS.

3) Open your mind up to controllers, if you have a decent computer. The Native Instruments S4, Numark NS6, and even a pair of Numark V7's or a Numark NS7FX if you get it used. All of those would be within a budget of less than $1000.

This is not really an inexpensive hobby.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    Honestly craigslist is your best friend.

Figure out what you want. I wouldn't touch any other CDJ than Pioneer or Denon myself, and that's because the other brands have a proven track record of not lasting well.

This is not really an inexpensive hobby.
    yeah i know its not inexpensive. i dont care about the limitation cdj200 has to offer, all i want to do is mix and beatmatch. i see one cdj200 for $225 on ebay from a credible user. thinking of going for that, test out that cdj once i arrived. i'm thinking of the xone22 mixer for $300 but found it cheaper on ebay as well.

my only concern right now if figuring out if i can record my mixes into my computer with that mixer, in the back of the mixer it says Record with L & R holes, would you know anything about that by any chance? i might collect the cdj's first and mixer last.

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    yeah i know its not inexpensive. i dont care about the limitation cdj200 has to offer, all i want to do is mix and beatmatch. i see one cdj200 for $225 on ebay from a credible user. thinking of going for that, test out that cdj once i arrived. i'm thinking of the xone22 mixer for $300 but found it cheaper on ebay as well.

my only concern right now if figuring out if i can record my mixes into my computer with that mixer, in the back of the mixer it says Record with L & R holes, would you know anything about that by any chance? i might collect the cdj's first and mixer last.
    You can record to pc using ANY mixer... it doesn't have to have any outputs that say record.

You will need an RCA cable that has a 3.5mm jack at the opposite end to the red and white to connect to your computer. If you have something other than a 'standard' computer/laptop soundcard, then it all depends on what inputs your soundcard has.

Well what about something like:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ele/2484425545.html

Considering you are in NYC, that could be a very decent local deal.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    You can record to pc using ANY mixer... it doesn't have to have any outputs that say record.

You will need an RCA cable that has a 3.5mm jack at the opposite end to the red and white to connect to your computer. If you have something other than a 'standard' computer/laptop soundcard, then it all depends on what inputs your soundcard has.
    below is a pic of my mobo, thats the audiocard (7.1 high def audio / alc889a etc) as you see, it has the 6 holes, the blue hole says audio in, so that must be it....?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:15,s:0

also, how would i record the mix, using something like audacity?
    Last edited by cutflow; 07-10-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    below is a pic of my mobo, thats the audiocard (7.1 high def audio / alc889a etc) as you see, it has the 6 holes, the blue hole says audio in, so that must be it....?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:15,s:0

also, how would i record the mix, using something like audacity?
    yes, using audacity is easy and quick. I'll be honest, you would be a fool to buy anything like the cheap stuff you linked above, you will outgrow it fast and want something better when you realize how limiting it is then will be screwed when you can't sell it because no one else would want to buy it. If you want CDJs don't get anything but pioneer or denon.

Craigslist man...

Or just get an S4 and don't ever look back.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast