Retreiving files from a crashed harddisk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Retreiving files from a crashed harddisk

I know this is not really the right forum to ask this type of question, but I thought some of you guys might know how to help me out.

Hey guys, about half a year ago my pc was hit by a massive bunch of virusses. A guy fixed my computer and bought a new harddisk, no problems so far. A few weeks ago I realized there are some files on that old harddisk that I'd love to have (some unfinished songs). I've still got the harddisk here, but how can I move the files from the old HD (let's say HD1) to the new HD (let's say HD2) without my computer being f***** up again, and crash.

Can I make HD1 some sort of a external harddrive? So that I can move over the files I need and keep the virusses away?

Thanks in advance!
    AIAIAI TMA-1 | Shure SE-215-K | VCI-380 | 2x Xone:K2 | Xone:62 | Audio 10 | NI TSP 2 | Roland TR-8 | Ableton Live 9 | Komplete 10 | MBP 13" | Saffire Pro 14 | 2x Eve SC205

just connect the drive to an external hard drive cradle and then plug that into your computer via usb cable.

should be ok if you get a usb caddy for the drive. drive can only be 2.5 or 3.5 inch pata (ide) or sata i guess? not going to be scsi etc on a normal pc i guess...

make sure you have up to date virus software on the pc you connect the drive to ofc

if it was me i'd boot into linux and selectively copy the files from there - and rescan copied files just to be sure - but probably no need. you could always boot from a linux live cd tho if u wanted to go that route.

as you're not booting from the virus-infected disk the only way one can get onto memory is by something on the drive being run - which it wont be if all u do is connect and copy the files u need.

familiar situation anyway :P
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

I work in computer repair, why would the guy buy a new HDD that had viruses? You just need to format the hard drive and its as good as new, if your paranoid, low level format.

Yes its very easy to connect a internal hard drive externally. Look for a Sata/IDE to USB connector. Check amazon and Newegg. They go for like $20.
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

Quote Originally Posted by NotSoSiniSter View Post
    I work in computer repair, why would the guy buy a new HDD that had viruses? You just need to format the hard drive and its as good as new, if your paranoid, low level format.

Yes its very easy to connect a internal hard drive externally. Look for a Sata/IDE to USB connector. Check amazon and Newegg. They go for like $20.
    he didnt say he bought a new hdd that had viruses on afaics - he said he just needs to recover some files from the old virus-laiden hdd.

i presume once he has all files off the old one that he wants to keep then he would format and reuse the old one.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    he didnt say he bought a new hdd that had viruses on afaics - he said he just needs to recover some files from the old virus-laiden hdd.

i presume once he has all files off the old one that he wants to keep then he would format and reuse the old one.
    Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    should be ok if you get a usb caddy for the drive. drive can only be 2.5 or 3.5 inch pata (ide) or sata i guess? not going to be scsi etc on a normal pc i guess...

make sure you have up to date virus software on the pc you connect the drive to ofc

if it was me i'd boot into linux and selectively copy the files from there - and rescan copied files just to be sure - but probably no need. you could always boot from a linux live cd tho if u wanted to go that route.

as you're not booting from the virus-infected disk the only way one can get onto memory is by something on the drive being run - which it wont be if all u do is connect and copy the files u need.

familiar situation anyway :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cerna View Post
    just connect the drive to an external hard drive cradle and then plug that into your computer via usb cable.
    thanks for the help so far. I've got no knowledge about harddisks, can you guys tell me what type of HD my HD1 is (see pic below)

AIAIAI TMA-1 | Shure SE-215-K | VCI-380 | 2x Xone:K2 | Xone:62 | Audio 10 | NI TSP 2 | Roland TR-8 | Ableton Live 9 | Komplete 10 | MBP 13" | Saffire Pro 14 | 2x Eve SC205

It's a SATA harddrive. Have you got a external harddrive lying around which isn't more than 2-3 years old? If that's the case, you can open it up and switch the hard drive with this one for a minute...
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Quote Originally Posted by DennisHuiberts View Post
    It's a SATA harddrive. Have you got a external harddrive lying around which isn't more than 2-3 years old? If that's the case, you can open it up and switch the hard drive with this one for a minute...
    Yes, I've got a Toshiba HDD, won't this damage my Toshiba? (Because there are a lot of viruses on that HD1).

It won't fit in the Toshiba 1TB HDD
    HD1 length: 3.9 inch
    width: 2.8 inch

What should I buy? a 3.5 or a 2.5 inch housing?

2,5 inch since it's a notebook harddrive. But why didn't it fit in the external HD enclosure? The 1TB is a 3,5 inch HD right? Can you post a picture of the insides of the external HD (before you buy stuff you don't need)?
    Last edited by DennisHuiberts; 07-12-2011 at 03:09 AM.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast