Promotions Company Charging to promote - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tech Convert

Thanks again for the advice guys...

As far as wet behind the ears... When it comes to promoting def... I am not interested in promoting. I just want to spin.

In the past I didn't have to search out a promoter. I had a Mixed House radio program (the Underground House Party) that got me gigs. It went on for about 6 years. But I had to leave it for personal reasons and when I left the show died and so did the jobs.

I appreciate you offering the links and information on how to through my own event. I actually do a few weekly local gigs that are my own nights. they are dive spots and some nights are crazy busy and others are a piece of performance art I like to call loud music to an empty room. lol... I also do a lot of fill in work at bigger spots, but nothing is leading in the direction we all dream about.

When this dude contacted me at first it seemed great come down spin and I'll see if your worth adding you to my roster. Then the next time I spoke to him he started talking about not starting a 4th crew and I would have to invest $1000. I knew then that it was not going where I was used to. So, I solicited the people (you guys) who I knew had gone through this as well. The consensus was this is a scam... There where some who said it works if you can afford it.

Honestly, I wish it would be everything the guy says. But my gut tells me other wise. Plus after just buying a home in NY I can't just through $1000 at a possibility. I mean I would DJ sometimes for free or for the travel expenses. Shoot, if he'd offer a payment plan on the G I would at least try it, but that's not available to me. So, at the end of the day it is what it is and I'll just keep DJing and keep trying.

Djing brings me inner peace and if that’s all I ever get out of it then I will have had a good career...

Thanks again guys... Keep it coming this is so helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.DJ View Post
    Thanks again for the advice guys...

As far as wet behind the ears... When it comes to promoting def... I am not interested in promoting. I just want to spin.

In the past I didn't have to search out a promoter. I had a Mixed House radio program (the Underground House Party) that got me gigs. It went on for about 6 years. But I had to leave it for personal reasons and when I left the show died and so did the jobs.

I appreciate you offering the links and information on how to through my own event. I actually do a few weekly local gigs that are my own nights. they are dive spots and some nights are crazy busy and others are a piece of performance art I like to call loud music to an empty room. lol... I also do a lot of fill in work at bigger spots, but nothing is leading in the direction we all dream about.

When this dude contacted me at first it seemed great come down spin and I'll see if your worth adding you to my roster. Then the next time I spoke to him he started talking about not starting a 4th crew and I would have to invest $1000. I knew then that it was not going where I was used to. So, I solicited the people (you guys) who I knew had gone through this as well. The consensus was this is a scam... There where some who said it works if you can afford it.

Honestly, I wish it would be everything the guy says. But my gut tells me other wise. Plus after just buying a home in NY I can't just through $1000 at a possibility. I mean I would DJ sometimes for free or for the travel expenses. Shoot, if he'd offer a payment plan on the G I would at least try it, but that's not available to me. So, at the end of the day it is what it is and I'll just keep DJing and keep trying.

Djing brings me inner peace and if that’s all I ever get out of it then I will have had a good career...

Thanks again guys... Keep it coming this is so helpful
    that's fair enough.. promoting yourself is a huge step and a lot of responsibility

at the end of the day NOBODY should be paying anything to play anywhere!!!! doesnt matter who, or where. You should'nt have to play to pay. that is ludicrous bullshit. Its just people seeing a gap in the market where they can profit.

at the absolute very least - you end up breaking even and playing for free after petrol/gas money (but you should never play for free either!!).

Tech Convert

Totally agree... It's crazy and tough out there...

I just wish I never had to leave my show for that time. It really threw me off. Oh well, Thanks again dude... Best of luck to you... Best of luck to all of us...

I'm a DJ and a lover of electronic music... I just hope it never dies...

Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Convert

OK... Since you Guys have been so great I will tell you the new situation.

I told him that I can not afford to pay. Which really is true. I would have put me in a bad situation.

He said that he will cover my cost. I just need to help him with his website to pay it back. He will stilll promote me and do all that he promissed.

So Please guys, tell me your thoughts... This has been awesome...

I would be frank with him and ask him whats the catch?
    he is not doing this for free, esp if he is "paying" the $1,000.
    his he taking a percentage? or what. sounds more legit but i know he wants to make money for you playing
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Tech Mentor

Dude, stop talking to this scammer. STOP! Anytime someone tells you you have to pay to get a job, it's a scam. Period. There are no legitimate jobs that you have to pay money to get. Now he's trying to put you into a position where you "owe" him?
    What it sounds like is that he wants you to front the overhead for his gig, then he'll give you 10% of the profit. (Which probably won't be $1k) Why is this a bad idea? Because it transfers the risk to your pocket, not his. No legitimate company works like this. If you want to work something out, have him promote you on a trial basis, maybe taking less of a paycheck for one party. If he pulls off a stellar promotion, then you can think about doing business with this guy.

Honestly though, my gut instinct tells me this is a scam and you should run like hell. There's other promoters out there, or you could look into promoting yourself.

Tech Guru

yeah man quit being such a mark. get some street sense already.

+1
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234