Maya Jane Coles, what's all the hype about? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sfz View Post
    I had listened to some of her original productions last week, I liked em, but because i've already got TONS of similar sounding house/tech-house/techno stuff
    And that's part of what I'm saying, she's not doing anything original or unique to make her stand out from the crowd.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Vly View Post
    Stop hating for a sec and listen to her RA podcast and Essential Mix. A bunch of great unreleased tracks (at the time) and pretty incredible selection. I usually put those mixes on for friends who know nothing of house music and they end up loving it. I love Buttrich, Ferreyra, all those guys, but I haven't found a mix of theirs that can do that.
    How am I hating? I never said I didn't like her stuff, never said it was bad or no good. I was just asking what she has done to deserve all the hype.

But from what you said, it seems she's appealing to the LCD out there, so maybe that's her appeal.

Because every time somebody has mentioned anything positive about her, you bring up another negative aspect.
    If you don't like her, don't, but constantly bringing up reasons trying to discredit her is just annoying.

http://soundcloud.com/r_co/maya-jane...-essential-mix
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

Banned

Well that's the beauty of having a discussion or open debate usually, and I haven't heard anything that really justifies all the hype and attention she's receiving. Just trying to keep an objective point of view on this.

Cool, so he made a mix that a lot of "non-house" people like. There are lots of those around.

So she made a good tech house track with an old school flavour to it. There's dozens of those around before and after she got into it.

Now, I never said once in this thread that I dislike her, nor have I ever questioned her skills in the studio or behind the decks. All I've been doing is questioning all the hype and press around her and what she's done to deserve that.

Her tracks, while being good are far from inspiring.

There's nothing objective about musical taste - taste is subjective. Saying you're "trying to keep an objective point of view on this" when you're constantly putting her down is just kind of pretentious.
    If there are dozens of other mixes done before her that are better, link them, let others decide.
    On another note, I can't stand Skrillex and think he's way overhyped, but I'm not going to start a thread about it and ask every one of his fans to defend his/her tastes.
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

Banned

Find one post where I said anything bad about her production skills or DJing. I'm not questioning her skills, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'm just asking where did all the hype and press came from.

As far as mixes, just look for any funky/disco house house mix with a healthy dose of vocals. Done.

As far as Skrillex, I don't listen to that genre of music so I really don't have any insight into it so that's a moot point to bring up. And I never asked for any Maya Jane Coles fans to respond specifically, just for people to possibly give a solid explanation to all the hype around her compared to people who are doing far better and more inspiring things than she is. And frankly, I haven't heard one yet with the exception of S11 giving some insight as far as being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people. If that's all it was then the answer would be she just got lucky.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    I'm not questioning her skills, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'm just asking where did all the hype and press came from.
    That in itself seems to be questioning her talent.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Im guessing the hype is because she is an alright female producer/dj (havent heard any of her stuff) in a male populated industry. Females usually stand out when they are average when its in a mainly male industry, take golf for example, my sister is professional and has golfclubs fighting to get her, for a male the same level as her he will barely get noticed, (now im not insulting her ability as she has played at international level and is very good), but people want her because it says they are not sexist.

In carpentry its the same, over here in Ireland a company called FAS which runs our trade apprenticeships, will actually give you a grant if you hire a female for a trade and I know many companys will jump at the oppertunity to hire one because it gives them a positive message about the work (plus gives them money)

Some people/companys are very sexist but some will go out of there ways to proove they arent.
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Banned

If it just comes down to talent, then how come some one like Guti or Johhny D or Maceo Plex, artists who are doing far more unique and inspiring things, aren't all the over the place then?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dj stifffy View Post
    Im guessing the hype is because she is an alright female producer/dj (havent heard any of her stuff) in a male populated industry. Females usually stand out when they are average when its in a mainly male industry, take golf for example, my sister is professional and has golfclubs fighting to get her, for a male the same level as her he will barely get noticed, (now im not insulting her ability as she has played at international level and is very good), but people want her because it says they are not sexist.

In carpentry its the same, over here in Ireland a company called FAS which runs our trade apprenticeships, will actually give you a grant if you hire a female for a trade and I know many companys will jump at the oppertunity to hire one because it gives them a positive message about the work (plus gives them money)

Some people/companys are very sexist but some will go out of there ways to proove they arent.
    Best and most honest answer I've heard yet.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast