Korg MicroKontrol Review/Owner's Log
    Tech Guru

Default Korg MicroKontrol Review/Owner's Log

Since I decided to turn my Ecler Nuo 4 Mixer review into an owner's log of sorts, I'm doing the same with my recently acquired Korg MicroKontrol

Some info: I bought it for $130 and its in New condition except for one tiny scratch. He was the first owner... so you guys have a price reference.

The Pads: They're OK if you're trying to do some drumming. Pads are smaller than those on the LPD8 and don't light up as bright. On the other hand I'm not a drummer so it doesn't bother me. Still "drum-able" if you don't want to do any complex patterns past 16th notes. If you're an experienced Finger Drummer I would get a standalone Korg PadKontrol or something.

Encoders: Feel Solid. They're actually 0-127 Potentiometers that spin endlessly, so they pick up without any skips. They might be fully endless encoders, but I have yet to figure out how to program that.

Faders: You wont be doing any Beatmatching with these, but they're solid and I tried to take off the fader caps but couldn't. ...which is a good thing.

Keys: A little small for my hands (I wear Large/X-Large gloves) but I don't know how to play piano and I'm only using the keys to find individual notes.

Global Section:
    -Encoder: Not MIDI assignable, bc it provides so much function in the programming.
    -Can Save up to 12 presets.
    -Can assign different MIDI messages and even different Channels for every control, so you can have one pad on Channel 3, then another on Channel 4, and the keys on Channel 5... or whatever combination you want.

Bonus: I hate using software to assign MIDI channels and Notes.. the MicroKontrol lets you do this straight from the controller without even having to be connected to a computer. It has a 9v plug, or you can use batteries.

All in All: I REALLY like it because I can do so much with it. It's my first keyboard purchase, and I couldn't be any happier.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

quite an interesting combination of elements that keyboard. cheers for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asand View Post
    Keys: A little small for my hands (I wear Large/X-Large gloves) but I don't know how to play piano and I'm only using the keys to find individual notes.
    take your gloves off... you should find the keys better then
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Nice Review!!!! When you say that the encoders are not midi assignable does that means that i cant use midi learn on ableton????

Thx
    MBP 13' 256 SSD 8Gb RAM. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.8 | MF Classic | NI Audio 2 | NI Audio 10 | CDJ1000MK3 (2) | Technics 1200MKII (4) | A&H Xone 92 (UK) | NI Kontrol F1 | Ipad 4 | Korg Kaoss Pad Mini | Ableton Live Suite.