Logic vs Ableton - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Guru

My mate use Fruity Loops and hes mad decent. Its a good piece of software and really user friendly compared to Logic.

Ableton is kinda weird as a DAW but perfectly usable and its only getting better! Plus its got a unique workflow that no other DAW can match. Not to mention you can use it live, which is really why I use it. Being able to put together some patterns and a few basslines but not really make a track, then get a few samples and a couple full tracks and you have a wicked unique live set on your hands, without changing anything.

Bring on ableton 8! Fuck yeah!

Tech Mentor

I have done some production in fruity loops. Actually my mate and I were fooling around with it as we were recovering on sunday. Hitting up more of a hip-hop beat but I've always been keen to try some dnb or breaks with it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Reason yet, I thought it was a fair player on this stage?
    obsidiance » breaks-drum'n'bass-big beats

Tech Wizard

Ive used Logic for years and got into Ableton about 2 years ago for DJing. However with the advent of Live 8 Im seriously considering a move over for my main production in Live 8.

Logic is a classy piece of software - however other sequencers have now caught up - and Logic although good is seeming a bit long in the tooth IMO. Apple also witht heir 'no announcements/communication' policy is making all the LP8 users nervous....Although I think they will drop some good news on LP9 as they did with LP8...

Basically tho - Bento is right in that providing you dont use the complex warp modes in Ableton or dither/change sample-rate in Ableton - the audio quality should theoretically be as good as Logic.

Live is generally regarded as a better compositional/jamming tool whereas people often tehn export to mix in Logic - due to its workflow.

For dance music I think Ableton is the way to go IMO. Its so creative and quick. Logic is a steeper learning curve and contains loads of mixing / production tools useful for mix professionals - but I suspect many dance/electronic music producers wont need a lot of its functionality.

At the end of the day you cant go wrong with either...

Quote Originally Posted by JonChase View Post
    Another quality soft synth I found out about recently is the Sylenth 1.
    Good find! I highly enjoyed those demos, inspiring sound designs that cover exactly the ground I'm interested in (Big Room leads and hooks). Thank you!

I use logic because I think it more easy to do things that sound really good and the built in effect are off the hook. I love the compressor and the eq. (I tried to produce in reason and live but logic is the only thing that work for me.)

Finally the things to not neglict is to take basic music theory course!!! People tend to jump over this step when beggining producing, but it's the most important thing whatever the software you are using. (im currently taking piano course and it's help me SO MUCH)

//
    You guys should look for rob papen albino too, it's really an awesome piece of soft synth.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PIGLET View Post
    Basically tho - Bento is right in that providing you dont use the complex warp modes in Ableton or dither/change sample-rate in Ableton - the audio quality should theoretically be as good as Logic.

Ok, I'm interested in this, because beats warping mode in ableton is kidna shit, you get warp artifacts which sound like ass. Pitch has its obvious downsides (ie pitch changes if your changing the tempo by more then a bit), I've been using complex recently to get rit of the artifacts problem with beats mode...

Opinions ?

And fuck yes Albino owns. Its a wobble machine, raids hard for dubstep synth. DnB as well. I kinda like it over massive for some reason....

For time warping some friends told me that melodyne do a really decent job.
    But the thing with time warping is that if its too extreme its 100% sure that there will be artifact since the program deal with information that exist it can't create new.

true albino is excellent for that kind of sound. (see rusko masterclass if you haven't, really fun stuff)
    macbook/2 Stanton STR.150 /Axiom 25/AKAI MPD 25/Vestax vci-100/Serato sl3/Ableton live 8 suite/ krk monitor/Ecler Nuo 2.0/Akai mpd24/midiFighter /Audio 4/2 Pioneer cdj 800mk2/

@midian, haven't tried Albino for wobbles yet, must check it.

@de_stilj, Ableton isn't cutting it as far as time stretching goes?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123