Logic vs Ableton
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Logic vs Ableton

Hey guys,

So i'm trying to get into a bit of production and can't decide whether to go with Ableton or Logic as my main DAW.

Recently i've been messing around with a version of Ableton Live I got with my Novation soundcard and have been pretty impressed with it. Unfortunately, it is really limited due to it being a Lite version.

I've also heard that when it comes to production, Logic is the way to go. Supposedly the sound quality is better and it offers more professional mixing and mastering features than Ableton.

On the other hand, results seem to be achieved a lot quicker using Ableton and Logic is supposed to have a bitch of a learning curve.

I'm not sure what one to choose and I wouldn't be able to afford both.

Does anybody use either or both of these???

How do the 2 compare???

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by JonChase; 02-15-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Logic is really great, but from what I have heared, it has a very steep learning curve.
    Ableton Live might be the tool to start out with from these two.

You'd be amazed how far you can get with Ableton.
    I know I sound biased, but for me Ableton perfectly fits my way of production workflow.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Honestly, I think that Logic Express would be enough, unless you plan on doing film scoring or anything really advanced, Logic Pro might be a bit much for starting.

But that's just from what I've been told. Ableton Live seems like a great choice to start. The learning curve can be steep, but it is with almost everything.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

haven't tried logic. and i can't stand ableton for producing.

i use orionplatinum . it's great

http://www.synapse-audio.com/

Tech Guru

i think it really depends on what type of music you produce, whether you want to record audio, work with midi etc...

i use reason, simply because i dont record audio, and the instruments in reason suit the kind of music i produce, i've had experience with logic, and well i prefered reason.

at the end of the day id go for the software that most suits what you want it for.

easy...

If you ask me all the DAW's are basicly all the same thing wrapped up with different workflows, for the most part they are all capable of achieving the same sounds. Find one that you like the work flow of and dont worry about the whole "sound quality" thing because thats just a load of crap, all the DAW's sound quality is all pretty much the same.

Id suggest Ableton because at the same time your learning to produce you will be learning an enviroment you can use on the stage too - killing 2 birds with one stone is quite nice

Down the track you could give logic a go, its a mac only product so i havent tried it personally.

By the way, I was talking with the dutch distributor about Ableton 8.

Cool stuff is going to happen, will tell you guys more as it develops.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Why not use both I have been and am super happy . Then again if you're startin out just figure out Ableton and you'll be straight . Try pickin up Massive and or FM8 and you'll be set with a killer set up .

<3 Massive *drooling*

Yeah, did some "massive" damage while hitting up bassfrequencies in Massive.

But.. Logic can also use Massive right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast