Box/enclosures?

Thread: Box/enclosures?

Tech Convert

Default Box/enclosures?

Hey guys. Been very impressed with all this controllerism for a long time - and I finally pulled myself together to build my first diy midi controller. It's an old eks xp-10 I want to modify. The jog feels good, but the buttons are really shitty - when I splitted it appart I saw why. The buttons are actually all attached to the same piece of plastic - No wonder why it worked like shit. So under them are tiny small buttons - And I started to detach them, and have soldered a few wires on them attached to 30mm arcade buttons. Tested it, and all seem to work. So the next thing i'm looking for is some kind of dekstop box to put it inside. As the circuit is very tiny, it will fit inside almost any box - Where do you guys find good basic enclosures?

Tech Wizard

Mouser usually has some cool enclosures.
    2014 MBP Retina 15" / Maschine Studio / MM-1 / 2x X1 Mk2 / A2DJ / Rokit 5's

Please post some pictues! And yeah mouser has got the most boxes but they've a terrible search function.

Tech Wizard

Ha yeah I know what you mean, it's a mess!

I was looking into building my own all in one midi controller recently until the OHMrgb came out with the extension jacks. Now I reckon I'll just build a smaller unit I can connect to the brain. The ones I like most are the hammond ones. Their site's not too bad and you can always just search by manufacturer on mouser to find prices and order.

These are the ones I've got my eye on...

Sloped ones are pretty cool too...

I'm not too hot on CAD or have any idea how difficult it is to drill through steel or alu but I see with the flat ones at least they come without a bottom and I reckon you could put a sheet of acrylic on there and use it the other way round which might look cool (an ebay acrylic seller offers to mill or route in the small print, can't find it just now). There's always the plastic enclosures too, but my thirst for the vintage synth look may be too much.

Hope that helps, let us know how you get on!

Tech Wizard

http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm

That's their site if you wanna see what they've got.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by rutierut View Post
    but they've a terrible search function.
    Yep I noticed, kinda gave up after a few pages. They defiently could optimize their sales alot stuff it they got their page put systematic. Found me a controller from an old Denon 2900F - dated back to 98 or something, been laying around for a couple of years in the basement.,I doubt it will even be worth try selling, so I disasembled it, and the circuit board almost fits in the box, with a little cutting it will. Will keep you guys posted....

Tech Convert

Cool thanx, that was exactly what I was looking for. Will see how this homemade enclosure turns out, and if I fail doing it prob I now know a direction...