The sunday night crowd . . . .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The sunday night crowd . . . .

So I've bagged myself a spot on an open deck night on a sunday in my town. I don't usually head out on a sunday night seeing as I gotta work on monday and its been a long time since I was a student, so ive lost touch with this night out on the town completely.

The bar ill be spinning at usually plays house / rnb / top40 / electro stuff on the busy weekend nights. Ive already told the promoter that this isnt really my bag and i'd love to play some smooth liquid dnb and chilled out dubstep, but I could whip up an electro house set no problem, if necessary.

Im still unsure what time of the night i'll be spinning, but hopefully earlier on as no-one should care too much about the music, I could probably play some more mellow stuff and get away with it.

So my question is: Do you have any experience with the sunday night crowd? What would you think works well for the peeps? Do people come out to party or chill on a sunday? I'm clueless :/

If it was me, I'd go out to chill maybe, nothing heavy. Its also worth noting that all the students have gone home for the summer, so theres a LOT less people about and theyre mainly 9-5 workers.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

People generally have headaches and fear of Monday.

I used to play soul/funk/beats/hiphop/funky breaks/nu disco/reggae/dub at my Sunday gig - it was called 'Slack Sabbath'. Anthing chilled, laid back or uplifting. I'd even occassionally play a bit of liquid d&b.

The idea was that people could forget about the week ahead and get snuggled up in a nice warm booze'n'vibes blanket.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    People generally have headaches and fear of Monday.

I used to play soul/funk/beats/hiphop/funky breaks/nu disco/reggae/dub at my Sunday gig - it was called 'Slack Sabbath'. Anthing chilled, laid back or uplifting. I'd even occassionally play a bit of liquid d&b.

The idea was that people could forget about the week ahead and get snuggled up in a nice warm booze'n'vibes blanket.
    Pretty much this - I used to play at the Big Chill Bristol fairly regularly on a Sunday, but it suffers from a total lack of passing trade - how busy is this place you're playing likely to be?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its pretty much what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    how busy is this place you're playing likely to be?
    Hmm, on a saturday night its pretty buzzing. I doubt it'll be the same on sunday though. My uneducated guess is that i'll be lucky to be playing to 10 people. Especially if anyone before me scares the locals off with something too heavy & abrasive.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Its pretty much what I was thinking.

Hmm, on a saturday night its pretty buzzing. I doubt it'll be the same on sunday though. My uneducated guess is that i'll be lucky to be playing to 10 people. Especially if anyone before me scares the locals off with something too heavy & abrasive.
    Saturday != Sunday.

Round here, Sunday is all about the passing trade - London is different though, there are always nutters out every night. I used to love playing on Brick Lane to the casualty crew who were still going at 6pm on a Sunday from the night before ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    Saturday != Sunday.

No shit sherlock! ;p

Sorry, I just had to. I'll get my coat.

The casualty crew sound like a bunch of nutters, I suppose youre only young once!

Passing trade isnt something that's gonna happen unless people are out for some of the other bars in that area. Its an outdoor gig too, so if its raining, as it so often is these lovely british summers, literally no-one will be there.

Im off to fabric the friday too, getting back and getting sorted is gonna be a mission.

You're doing Derby > LDN > Derby for fabric? Is Friday still breaks/d&b type stuff?
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    You're doing Derby > LDN > Derby for fabric? Is Friday still breaks/d&b type stuff?
    mate, its bukem. Nuff said.

Sorry, I should probably expand on that more.

Yes, its dnb. Its LTJ bukem, the pioneer of Good Lookin Records which happen to be pretty much the inception of liquid dnb. Its gonna be a good-un

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast