Back in the day... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

just the thought of carrying a few hundred records to a gig make me cringe. and even before that, sorting them out. i don't miss mixing like that at all. especially from what i've been doing now with my s4 and midi fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
    I can relate. I held out on going digital for a very long time - just made the transition about a year and a half ago. I still love playing and listening to vinyl sets. There is something pure about the whole experience. It's like the difference between getting an email and getting a hand written letter. The letter might be a little harder to read with someone's sloppy handwriting but you know they wrote it by hand, carried it to a post box and probably put a lot more thought into it.

On the other hand there's no program out there that DJ's for you. Sure sync and search are game changers, personally i think the second more than the first but I am coming from a club perspective not really a turntableist. I mean anyone who played vinyl a few years could pretty much beat match in their sleep unless there was some monitoring/sound issue at the club. But being able to search and carry 2k+ tunes - absolute game changer.

The thing is you still have to know what song to play next. No software is going to pick the track for you and with that much material it is almost harder now than it ever was when you just dug through your crate. And while sync and cue points def get the track playing easier and faster than a tone arm, you still have to get the phrasing right, know when to kick the bass over, know when to pull a track out of the mix without losing energy, and generally how to construct a diverse set of music that flows and keeps people live.
    My opinion EXACTLY.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Cerna View Post
    just the thought of carrying a few hundred records to a gig make me cringe. and even before that, sorting them out. i don't miss mixing like that at all. especially from what i've been doing now with my s4 and midi fighter.
    I'm not old school enough to know about dealing with record crates, but even moving on from a bunch of CDs to a single drive was a huge relief to me.

i still love my record collection and tbh used to quite like hulking a couple of records bags to an event but what i really like about mp3+midi controllers is..... not ending up with all my records strewn around the room at the end of the night and then having a whole heap of work to work out what goes back in what sleeve
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    i still love my record collection and tbh used to quite like hulking a couple of records bags to an event but what i really like about mp3+midi controllers is..... not ending up with all my records strewn around the room at the end of the night and then having a whole heap of work to work out what goes back in what sleeve
    yes...records in wrong sleeves was one of my biggest faults...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Well I cant say much since im moving from Traktor to an Ableton/cdj setup
    Ableton with tons of trance samples from sounds to sample and cd decks for mixing popular tracks
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123