Beatgrid on Traktor oldschool electronic music !
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Beatgrid on Traktor oldschool electronic music !

Hello everybody, sorry for my english i'm doing the best that i can, i'm new in this forum, nice site and forum keep rockin all ! so my point is...

I'm in love with eletronic music, especialy classic oldschool house and disco, and i wanna start a discussion here about beatgrid on traktor pro 2, what yours experience about beatgrid this kind of music in traktor pro 2 ? sounds of bands and projects like Chic, Sister Sledge, Skyy, Instand Funk, Orlando Johnson, Change, musics of Salsoul Records, (some examples), and anothers old school flavours like Chicago House and Italodisco, some old school hip-hop to, im talkin about of purchased musics .WAV files in stores like Juno and Beatport, i'm worried , I'm worried because some people say that kind of music it's very difcult to beatgrided and some is impossible, and i have a huge collection of this sounds, I have not had the opportunity to make full potentials of the software, I think about buying it but would like to know the experiences from someone on this subject of Beatgrid this kind of music That I love so much, thanks to everybody !

Tech Guru

Use the search button or even youtube, this shit is everywhere
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dj stifffy View Post
    Use the search button or even youtube, this shit is everywhere
    Hey man, i think you dont understand me, i dont found many reports about experiences of djs who play a lot of oldschool disco and house on traktor pro 2 (not traktor scratch), but i think they exist, a lot of djs who like to play this styles and stoped play with vinyl for some reasons dont stop to play this type of music because the dificult or sometimes impossible beatgrid, i wanna know and share this experiences about this, how difficult is ? if it's really impossible to beatgrid some musics like this.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Live bands are nearly impossible to beatgrid in Traktor unless the drummer is spot on. You can warp them in Ableton first, but you risk losing some of the feel.

Here's a nice write up Ean did on make custom edits of these tracks.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/02/1...-ableton-pt-1/
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Live bands are nearly impossible to beatgrid in Traktor unless the drummer is spot on. You can warp them in Ableton first, but you risk losing some of the feel.

Here's a nice write up Ean did on make custom edits of these tracks.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/02/1...-ableton-pt-1/
    Hmm thanks man, but check this out, when you talkin about a live band song, you mean a song recorded in a live show, or you are talkin about just a band song recorded in studio, not eletronic music, like the studio version of Chic - Good Times, for example, is it impossible to beatgrid this track ?

And a classic disco music what is not eletronical totally, but is not totally a acustic band to, the beatgrid works ?

Tech Mentor

Hmmmmmmm but i can beatgrid just the part that i want to mix ? its work ?

Quote Originally Posted by disco420 View Post
    Hmmmmmmm but i can beatgrid just the part that i want to mix ? its work ?
    as photojojo said... first warp in ableton... beat gridding in traktor is pretty limitted. i guess you *could* beat grid it so that the part of the song u want is gridded fairly ok - but anything not driven by "an electronic drummer" is going to drift all the time pretty much.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

It's the live drummer. Any song with a live drummer will have tempo swings.

Unless they used a click track/metronome when it was recorded.

its not worth trying to grid or warp the whole track, just make the adjustment on the turntable, cdj, or what ever your using.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

It depends on the track tbqh.
    Sometimes you can set a loose grid where the track will fluctuate and either be a little ahead or behind the grid. These aren't too difficult to mix as you can just bend the pitch a little to sync the tracks.
    Another option is to set a grid at the start of the track where you'll be starting your transition and set another grid marker towards the end of the track where you want to transition again, if the start and finish BPM are about the same, and not worrying about the grid in the middle.
    Some of Traktor's FX are linked to the beat grid tho so they won't sound quite right if the grid isn't right.
    I tend to use the tap button, as and when I need it. The grid is usually close enough for a few bars, which is long enough for me to work with. Having buttons mapped to be able to move and change the grid on the fly can be handy, tbh tho I just tap in the beat again if it fluctuates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast