Unprepared DJ's
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unprepared DJ's

Default Unprepared DJ's

Never before have I seen so many people take gigs knowing they aren't ready to play them. It seems like so many people on this forum just say yes to gigs that they either are way to inexperienced for, or don't have the knowledge of what music to play. Would you accept a job you know you aren't ready for?
    I know it's not the worst thing in the world, but it's rampant among forum members in here and just rubs me the wrong way.
    [/rant]

i think it would depend on the theme of the party. Like I dont have too much dubstep, but if I had to play a party for it i could probably find some for that night. But if it was like 80's?? then nope.... haha but some people on here do seem pretty desperate for gigs for taking ones that are totally unprepared for. which could backfire on you
    2x Midi-Fighters, 1x Technics 1200MK2, Xone 2:02, Traktor Pro 2, Macbook Pro 13', Audio 2, circuit bent Gameboy, aaaaand some poopy Logitech speakerz.

i guess you're referring at least a bit to that 'wedding gig' thread? in that particular case its surely mostly down to having enough+varied music.

personally i'd not be interested in something like that and would stick to what i know and can do which is mixing anything ranging from house/techno/trance
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Guru

lol.... yeah quite a few kids on here "oh yeah been djing for a couple months so i know pretty much all there is to know so now im looking for gigs. help me choose my dj name and help me with whatever i'm too lazy to figure out myself."

don't dare say anything about it or you'll be labeled as unfriendly and unhelpful.

They gotta learn somehow, may as well be the hard way eh
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Agreed!

I have been Djiing for 2 years now, and have yet to really get a Club gig up until actually today..It is a competition for up and coming dj's that 50% of the competition is based on attendance (people you bring in) 25% for mixing, 25% song selection..and really I don't think I would've been ready to do this until now. Maybe it was more that I would like to be as ready as possible so I can perform and be proud of it!
    VCI-100 (DJTT Overlay - 1.4) - Neon Yellow Knobs
    Midi-Fighter
    15" MacBook Pro (Quad-Core i7)
    Traktor Pro 2 w/ Audio 2 DJ
    Stephon Ikōs (www.soundcloud.com/gbushkuhl)

I started about 6 years ago when I got a call from a local club owner (my mate used to work behind the bar and gave him my number) to start a rock music night, never dj'd anywhere but had drunkenly played tracks for friends at parties

I'd never used cd'js, I only knew the basics of the mixer, but I knew my MUSIC

I think with all this tech and ways of djing now people are forgetting the most important part
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Lecko View Post
    I'd never used cd'js, I only knew the basics of the mixer, but I knew my MUSIC
    Aye, there seem to be a few posts I've seen on here along the lines of 'I want to be a DJ, what gear should I get, and what music should I play'

The first question you can kinda forgive, but the second marks you down as a total idiot. If you don't know anything about music, why do you want to DJ?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

^truth
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Agreeeed!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast