Need Advice from fellow DJTT members
    Tech Wizard

Default Need Advice from fellow DJTT members

Hey everyone,

This if the first thread i start here. I've been a dj since i was 15, about 16 years ago, and ive own everything from 1200s, Dual gemini cd players, dual denon cd players, tape decks, etc etc etc, currently i have 2 1210s, 2 cdj-1000mk2,xone 62, 1d,2d,2 X1s, and a VCI-100SE. So down to my question ive gotten married and have a 5 yr old, so my space is limited, ive been thinking bout getting a S4, just to have a simplified setup with my m-audio BX5a, so i can practice more often, but recently i walked into a sam ash and saw the DDJ-T1 and fell in love with it, i use traktor and have had traktor since FS1. To you my friend i ask for advice, should i invest the money and go to an all in one solution like the S4 or DDj-t1 or should i wait and keep my setup for now??Problem is im space limited so having it all hooked up is out of the question, and the VCi is great i do love it, but it is a bit limited when it comes to using all 4 decks at a time. Also which one would you prefer the S4 or DDJ-T1 as a friend of mine who works in sam asj said i could jst map the x1s to control the sample decks so i wouldnt miss that from the s4.

Regards, and thanks

Francisco

Hey man thats quite a set up you have there!

Well from what you've mentioned, space is an issue, so if thats the case then getting rid of some of your gear and simplifying it would be a solution.

I've had the S4 and I would recommend it any day. The DDJ T1 is a cool controller but between the 2 the S4 kicks it. Plus if you get one now you will get the free scratch upgrade so you can plug in your CDJ's or TT's and run 4 decks. Another option is using your X1's to control FX and samples on your other decks, thats what I used to do.

So that said, S4 all the way bro!
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Tech Wizard

Forgot to mention already have Scratch Pro and an Audio 8, also upgraded to T2, ALso have Audio2 which i use with the vci, the thing is my dj setup needs to take less space as i need room for production gear, APC40, BCR, Evolution and Keyboard. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

i was in the same situation as you in december. i wanted to save space, so i ended up getting the kontrol s4 right before new years.

i'm not a big fan of pioneer products, so i didn't choose their controller.

if you liked the pioneer controller when you demoed it, then you might have already answered your question.

So far everyone I know who has gotten rid of their TT's to downsize has regretted it down the road.
    I'd lose the rest, but keep the TT's.

Tech Guru

Man I would go for an External Mixing route:

Keep the TT locked and closed to save space
    Sell the two CDJ1000 or keep them closed
    Sell the xone 1d and 2d or keep them closed
    Buy an Audio 10 (if you don't have an audio interface yet)
    Keep Xone 62 with 4 channels external mixing
    Keep your 2x x1's and map everything that you need tactile feedback
    Buy an iPAD 1 16gb without 3g and map everything you don't need tactile feedback

To play out at clubs you would only need your laptop, audiointerface, x1's and ipad...
    Pretty compact and solid setup, more then the Kontrol S4...

At home you would still have the top quality of the xone mixer.

Anyway, this is only a suggestion, my 2 cents

Good luck with your decision!

Edit:
    Googling the Xone 2d's back I saw that they work as an Audio interface with 4 stereo outs and have MIDI IN/OUT. You can use them instead of audio10 and you can still plug your iPad for playing with a wired connection instead of wifi, with would deliver to you a better latency
    But without audio 10 you would not be able to use DVS with your TTs or CDJs if you wish to keep them.
    Last edited by V-Hoff; 07-21-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jprime View Post
    So far everyone I know who has gotten rid of their TT's to downsize has regretted it down the road.
    I'd lose the rest, but keep the TT's.
    This. Get an S4 with the Scratch upgrade and hang onto the 1210s.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES