Anyone use this one?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410.html

looks nice, but maybe not cheap.

VCI-100 Black SE/ FW 1.3 / VCI-300
    Traktor Pro 1.1.2 / Serato Itch / SL3 / Ableton Live 7
    Korg NanoKontrol / KRK V4's
    NI Audio 8 Dj / Pioneer DJM-600
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

i personally would stay away from this card based on reviews and get something like the firebox, which i'm really glad i did.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    i personally would stay away from this card based on reviews and get something like the firebox, which i'm really glad i did.
    I have not read much about this interface, what bad reviews had you read? I am considering to buy this one also. I want a 8 out interface and at the moment have only found the audio8.

I think the firebox is only 4 out though...

I actually use the m-audio audiophile which is the smaller version of this one and sounds great! No issues so far.

I do own one of these and I think it's good for setting up a portable laptop studio. (i.e. When I do remix/production work on the road.) I have used it to play out with Traktor 3.3 and I get < 5 ms latency. However, my laptop comes with only the mini firewire plug which I feel is a little flimsy for mobile gigs cuz I'm always afraid of it popping out...

Other than that, it's a decent box... I've owned it for a few years now and it has never given me trouble. I've used it with Cubase SX 2, Ableton, and Traktor 3.3 and Pro. I have an HP laptop 1.8 Ghz with 2 gigs of RAM. It has performed well for simultaneous MIDI / audio recording and playback.
    Last edited by thebeatworx; 02-17-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeatworx View Post
    However, my laptop comes with only the mini firewire plug which I feel is a little flimsy for mobile gigs cuz I'm always afraid of it popping out...
    You can install a PCI express card with big firewire plugs. There is another post in which bento sugested this
    http://djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3180

I have one of these at home and have never had a problem with it
    its got all the I/O i need and its firewire so its a win win
    and its pretty solid too, very sturdy

this is just a quick search of the reviews i've read:

http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--MDOFW410
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...eWire+410/10/1
    http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-FireWi...owViewpoints=1

I was interested in one on craigslist in my area awhile ago but passed it up when i read the reviews. then i landed a great deal on the firebox, which has stellar reviews.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Wizard

i had one of those for about 4 weeks. got it from ebay and sold it again.

this was the first ever firewire interface from m-audio. the problems with it are:

-doesn't work with a whole lot of firewire chipset. search some reviews for the brands and models that work.

-does not support hot plug&play!! pull this out of your macbook while it is on, and you might fry your firewire port :eek: this was the biggest turn off for me, as i want an interface to use on both my desktop and my notebook, means a lot of plugging in and out.

-phantom power is only switchable for both mic inputs at the same time.

i also think the drivers weren't really updated anymore, everybody knows m-audio sucks big time when it comes to customer support. but not 100% sure about the drivers. read some reviews.

if you're cool with the above, i guess its an alright interface. can get it for real small money, i paid about 160€ for mine, sold it for 150€.

that was a great summary of everything i read. one more thing i read is that it doesn't really have 4 inputs.

can you imagine if you got your firewire cable unplugged accidently and it fried the soundcard and your firewire port!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k View Post
    I want a 8 out interface and at the moment have only found the audio8.

I think the firebox is only 4 out though...
    you can get 8 out of the firebox if you can use the digital outs or if you are mixing externally you can have 6 out the back and then use the headphone as an additional two
    Last edited by charo; 02-19-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: said 4 out meant 8 out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast