Macbook Air and powered USB ports...
    Tech Mentor

Default Macbook Air and powered USB ports...

My 4+ year old Core2Duo 13" Black MacBook has served me well... but the wear on the plastic shell is really starting to show... not to mention the two battery packs that have bloating (not enough to be concerned about according to the store geeks). But for the last 6+ months I've been wanting to upgrade... the updated 13" MacBook Pro's were nice, but the lack of upgrade to screen resolution turned me off of the purchase.

Now with the new Core i5 13" MacBook Air's released today (and including pre-loaded OS X Lion, I couldn't hold back and have placed my order. Very excited to order the top of the line model, 256GB SSD... didn't do the jump to i7, didn't see the value.

So my question is to the DJ's out there with the MacBook Air... any issues with power and the USB ports? I would have two devices connected, my M-Audio Fast Track Pro and the Vestax TR-1 Traktor Controller. When playing, it'll always be connected via AC Adapter... so that's not the concern. But I heard a suggestion to place the audio device on the USB port closest to the power plug (as it's the most important device), then place the midi controller on the other plug. Is this still suggested? Should I consider picking up a powered USB hub?

The MBA is strong enough to charge iPads.. So I guess it'll be pretty OK to hang a HUB on it and power those things. Hell, my MBP from 1,5 years ago is powerful enough to do 2 Midifighters with all LED's on, a LPD8 and a X1 with all LEDs on, four devices on one HUB.

So yeah, it'll be fine.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

id just get a powered hub anyway, the ones the have at the apple store are sexy

Tech Mentor

I'm really interested in feedback on the new Macbook air and its operation with dj software (traktor or ssl/itch). if anyone gets one, i'd love a report.

Tech Mentor

I'll be sure to reply with my results once it arrives. Estimated delivery is no later then next Friday (29th). I'll test it first just to be sure. I never seen any issues with my old MacBook... so I'm guessing it will be fine.