DJM 800 or 900? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DJM 800 or 900?

Tech Wizard

I agree. I was just about to say the average club mixer isn't too different from the next. With the exception of a few ones with a bajillion fx and midi functions.
    ***2 Stanton c314 CDJs, 1 Behringer DJX750 Mixer, 2 Gemini XL-500 II Direct Drive Turntables, Sony Bass Boost Headphones, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-501 Digital Piano, Traktor Scratch Duo 2, And the Willingness to learn and look stupid ***

Unless you have money to burn, don't get either. The whole point of the DJM 800 being the standard is because it's simple to step up to and use. If you can mix on your S4, you can mix on the DJM. The only thing to get used to at all would be the effects and I'm pretty confident you could get a feel for those with youtube instead of $1000 out of your pocket.

Tech Guru

if you want a "club" set up and want a DJM 800/900, get rid of the S4 and get yourself two X1's.

The beauty of the 900 is how it integrates with CDJ's. It has 2 more color effects, eq kills, and few new features but layout and function is the same as the 800.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by alexfsu View Post
    from what I understand, the big guys out there using the S4 still use the DJM for effects and stuff (i.e. filter).
    No point doing that. I have an 800 and it's great, but if I had an S4 and was planning to use that in clubs I wouldn't be having anything to do with the mixer other than plugging into it and forgetting about it.

If you wanted to use it for filters and FX, you'd have to plug in 2 channels and use external mixing mode in Traktor so the faders on the S4 would become useless. Also, as far as I'm concerned Traktor's filters are much nicer than those on the 800 anyway, and the quantised FX are more reliable by their very nature as part of the software.

If you want an external mixer, either of those 2 would be great. But don't feel you have to get one to learn the layout, because it honestly is very simple. Also, if you want to drop serious money on a brand new mixer, get a xone DB:4. You'll have much more fun with that than with a DJM-800 or 900.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    No point doing that. I have an 800 and it's great, but if I had an S4 and was planning to use that in clubs I wouldn't be having anything to do with the mixer other than plugging into it and forgetting about it.

If you wanted to use it for filters and FX, you'd have to plug in 2 channels and use external mixing mode in Traktor so the faders on the S4 would become useless. Also, as far as I'm concerned Traktor's filters are much nicer than those on the 800 anyway, and the quantised FX are more reliable by their very nature as part of the software.

If you want an external mixer, either of those 2 would be great. But don't feel you have to get one to learn the layout, because it honestly is very simple. Also, if you want to drop serious money on a brand new mixer, get a xone DB:4. You'll have much more fun with that than with a DJM-800 or 900.

Spot on, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    If you've used any mixer, you can probably look at an 800 and know what everything does….
    If he posted this thread, he's never used a DJ mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    If I had an S4 and was planning to use that in clubs I wouldn't be having anything to do with the mixer other than plugging into it and forgetting about it.
    And watching the level meters, since the meters on the S4 are basically worthless. Right?

OP, if you really need to practice to see how simple it is, buy the cheapest DJ mixer you can find…like, seriously you can learn what you need to for $30 at radio shack.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    OP, if you really need to practice to see how simple it is, buy the cheapest DJ mixer you can find…like, seriously you can learn what you need to for $30 at radio shack.
    what particularly do you recommend?

Tech Mentor

Just borrow or rent one for a couple days.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    If he posted this thread, he's never used a DJ mixer.
    Yea, my bad for not clarifying with "or a controller that looks like a mixer".

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    Just borrow or rent one for a couple days.
    Shit, for the price of renting in my area you could just buy a Behringer floor model mixer from Guitar Center. I know they don't make exactly the BEST mixers but for under $300 you can't go wrong. If he just want to get familiar around a club mixer, sound quality shouldn't matter too much.
    ***2 Stanton c314 CDJs, 1 Behringer DJX750 Mixer, 2 Gemini XL-500 II Direct Drive Turntables, Sony Bass Boost Headphones, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-501 Digital Piano, Traktor Scratch Duo 2, And the Willingness to learn and look stupid ***

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast