DJM 800 or 900?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DJM 800 or 900?

Tech Wizard

Default DJM 800 or 900?

Hey guys, ok so I have an S4 and am ready to kill it in the clubs, but I wanna be comfortable with a club setup, i.e. be able to hook up the S4 to a DJM and use it. Now im pretty sure here in Miami DJMs are standard, but with the 900 just out recently, im not sure whether to get an 800 or 900 to practice on. Obly the 900 is better, but also much more money.

Can I buy an 800 and learn it front to back, and then be able to comfortably transition to a 900 if such club has upgraded? Basically what I'm saying is: are they all that different? Haven't used either. Thanks in advance.

If you're just planning on using the S4, don't buy either. Dropping that kind of money to practice plugging in RCA cables is a bit over the top. The 900 and 800 are pretty much the same aside from the USB audio interface.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    If you're just planning on using the S4, don't buy either. Dropping that kind of money to practice plugging in RCA cables is a bit over the top.
    This. It literally takes 30 seconds to learn how to properly plug into a mixer.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Guru

the 900 is marginally better, different effects etc...but the beauty is everything is in the same place with djm mixers....apart from the 1000 and 2000 flagship mixers
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

. . . 900 if timecode practicing
    800 otherwise.
    But pointless really if you plan on using an S4 in clubs.
    Another idea is for $1000 the DN-X1600 is Traktor Scratch Certified that is also midi assignable to separate channels and whatnot.
    Pretty much it's a DJM900 from Denon with a different layout and rekord box taken out ect.

But really you can learn with any mixer with similar layouts and jump to a DJM800/900 with no problems essentially.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    ...Dropping that kind of money to practice plugging in RCA cables is a bit over the top.
    this ^

are you planning to sell your S4 or something? either way, stick to the S4.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    This. It literally takes 30 seconds to learn how to properly plug into a mixer.
    from what I understand, the big guys out there using the S4 still use the DJM for effects and stuff (i.e. filter).

Tech Guru

but.but.but... why?
    lol like who?
    its up to YOUR personal preference.
    Why would you buy a DJM to "practice" on.

Look, the fx on the DJM are easy to use/manipulate anyway.

If you come across a situation where you have your S4 and you have the opportunity to plug into the DJM, then do it if you want.

But to buy a DJM just to practice using FX, filters, and plugging in?

Why not use the built in Traktor filters on the S4?

Don't stress yo! every mixer is similar!
    Last edited by DJ Asand; 07-24-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Quote Originally Posted by alexfsu View Post
    from what I understand, the big guys out there using the S4 still use the DJM for effects and stuff (i.e. filter).
    Did you know there's there knobs on your S4 Labeled as Filter?
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

If you've used any mixer, you can probably look at an 800 and know what everything does (or at the very least, cycle through dropping the effects randomly at the end of phrases during your first set and know what everything does). There's nothing super fancy about it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast