[Traktor Pro\Soundcard] Setting up a M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default [Traktor Pro\Soundcard] Setting up a M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Wrote this as a personal reminder, thought it would be useful for newbies!

What You'll Get Out of This
    - Front panel headphones to monitor upcoming track/cues
    - Back panel RCA jacks for main output

1. Install Latest M-Audio Drivers
    Visit M-Audio website's section "Drivers/Updates" and download the latest drivers for the Fast Track Pro (USB Audio Series).

If you do not intend to use the sound card's inputs, you can deactivate them in the preference panel, freeing some CPU load. (this article does not cover recording input in Traktor Pro, sorry)

2. Configure Traktor Pro
    Go to Traktor Pro's Preferences and select "Audio Setup" in the left column.
    Make sure the "Audio Device" is the "M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB".

Then go to the "Output Routing" panel and assign the proper outputs to the different channels.

3. Plugging to the Speakers

Both the TRS outputs, S/PDIF OUT and the front panel's headphone jack mirror the RCA outputs 1 & 2.
    Therefore, we use outputs 3 & 4 as main output, this way the public doesn't hear the monitor output.

4. Headphone Monitoring
    The A/B button on the front panel selects which output source is sent to the headphones.
    Since we configured Traktor Pro to send our monitor to Outputs 1 & 2, we'll have to select A (pushed out).

The knob labeled "Level" can be used to control the headphones' volume, it is independent of the main output.

5. Rock the house!

When you want to monitor a deck, click the headphones icon, it will make the selected deck unaffected by the crossfader. Afterwards, move the cross-fader to the opposite side of the deck you want to monitor to remove the monitor output from the main output.

Last edited by quirkysilva; 02-18-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Hey dude,

Thanks heaps for writing this one up ! Ill add this into the recommended posts thread that were currently putting together.

Quote Originally Posted by freakerz View Post

When you want to monitor a deck, click the headphones icon, it will virtually (no gain or volume increase) boost the volume of that deck. Afterwards, move the cross-fader to the opposite side of the deck you want to monitor, muting it from the [B]monitor[B] output.
    Just for a little clarification, shouldn't this be the main output? Because cross-fader should almost always (maybe even always?) affect only to main output. It shouldn't have anything to do with the monitoring unless you are monitoring the main output of course. (Did I just make my clarification more confusing? )

And I think a better way to explain monitoring (cueing) a deck, is to say that it isn't dependant of the cross-fader. In other words, cross-fader doesn't affect the volume of the cueing done with the headphones icons. Cueing with the headphone icons gives you the opportunity to listen a deck without disrupting the main output.

And if by monitoring you meant monitoring the main output I don't see the point of using the headphones buttons, since they only make the output to your headphones incorrect. The other track is heard too loud and in my opinion this deflects the purpose of main output monitoring.

Though in combination of the both, as I quite often use them, I have a little of the main output coming to my headphones (adjustable with the mixing knob in the traktor) while having the cue button on. This is when i don't have proper monitoring _speakers_ to hear the main output from.

Good post though, very good pictures and clear layout. Thanks for that. That little thing just started bugging me and I had to do this little ;D post to answer.

Yeah Aanrii is right thats not setup 100% correct - you should be able to hear the other deck on the headphones even though its the crossfader isnt on the right side.

Would you not get a lower latency if you used the ASIO drivers?

nice guide, there is a good bunch of ppl asking about Fast Track Pro as well.

and yeah, i too think there is glitch somewhere... can't think where, coz i just woke up and am realy sleepy, maybe later in the day i return with some more info.

oh yea. an moley is absolutely right, there is nothing wrong to use ASIO interface, i.e. select M-Audio ASIO (it will then give exact same options for deck routing, so don't be afraid)
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Mentor

ASIO is only for the Windows people (AFAIK by Googling).

As for the monitoring decks, if you move the cross fade half-way to the opposite side, you'll hear the deck properly, I say full (to mute) only if you use club's speakers or your room speakers to beat match or something :P

Edit away moderators! :P End goal is to finally have a tutorial for FTP users, cuz I Googled my ass off last night for this lol... can't believe it's not easier (or at least documented).
    Last edited by quirkysilva; 02-18-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Tech Mentor

Oh! Maybe my monitoring explanation was wrong (wrote this at 4am :S) ..

The headphone icon lets you hear the selected deck even though the crossfader is on the opposite side. And the crossfader is to remove the monitor output from the main output (not the other way around )

Updated the tutorial's explanation, is it better?
    Last edited by quirkysilva; 02-18-2009 at 10:54 AM.

That sounds better to me unless i missed something again

Tech Mentor

You know, I had a rule of never writing stuff after 2am... went out the window the day after

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast