Help with Ableton setup
    Tech Wizard

Default Help with Ableton setup

Hey guys,

I've spent an obscene amount of hours on Youtube, google, Ableton and djtechtools to find any info on connecting and mapping 2 Xone 1Ds for Ableton use. That should be fairly straight forward and A&H do have an Ableton layout however; I want to throw a launchpad into the equation and I fear that's going to create a big problem. Adding further to the complication the audio has to go through an Audio 8. I believe a powered USB hub has to be used somewhere in the link but apart from that I'm pretty much at a loss.

If anyone could help shed some light on how I can get all 4 units connected and working I would very much appreciate your thoughts and ideas..

if its a power issue get a usb powered hub

Tech Wizard

I personally think it's a power an connection problem. As an example does the Audio 8 have to be directly plugged in to the laptop. because I'm pretty sure at least one of the Xone controllers has to be?

Hopefully someone out there might have almost the same setup and can shed some light on the matter.

Tech Mentor

you should be able just to run everything off your laptops USB ports if you can plug them all in.. a USB hub will help if you cant connect everything straight into your laptop.

Are you having issues powering the controllers or just mapping them???
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

this post makes no sense but...

if you have 3 usb ports then just plug everything in it will be fine

if you only have 2 usb ports,plug the audio 8 in to one and a powered usb hub in to the other,then just connect the controllers to the powered usb hub

simple.

Tech Mentor

looking at the hardware.. you just need to connect your controllers and soundcard to your computer via usb.. then in ableton go to options>preferences and the audio tab.. Set your driver type to ASIO and your audio output to your soundcard. Then click the midi tab and turn on all your controllers.

This will then allow you to map your controllers but you will need to make sure they are on different CC numbers. This will stop the controller using the same midi messages (midi channels)
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Wizard

Thanks very much for the help so far.

I was trying to keep the opening thread as short as possible.
    I have a MacBook Pro with 2 USB ports.

I have one Xone 1D sending on Midi Channels 15, the other on channel 16.
    My concern was that the Audio 8 requires a direct link to the MacBook and I have a horrible feeling at least 1 of the Xone 1Ds must also be directly connected to the Macbook. If this is the case I can't connect the launchpad as it's only USB.

I'm hoping that there's somebody out there who may have a similar setup who knows how all these will connect together.

THE PLAN:
    is to launch scenes with the pad and use the 2 Xone1Ds to control 8 ableton channels and effects. Ableton's output will run through the Audio 8 which will go into the Xone 92. It means I'll have to combine 2 channels as I'll only have 4 physical stereo outputs, hence using the 1Ds to control the levels via MIDI.

But seriously thanks very much for your help thus far and your comments are putting me as ease in thinking this solution may actually work.