is it me? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: is it me?

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    +1 on this idea, perhaps a "Great Answer" and "Being an Ass" button on posts - at least its a benchmark to red flag continuing offensive posters.

Locking out certain forums based on rep is probably not the answer as it does happen that respected Jocks, Producers, developers and Company Reps sign up to clarify points on hard or software being asked about.

On another note I'd feel that breaking down things further would be a much better way of keeping the crap at least in one place and make it easier to search and for the new folks to find what they are looking for.

Start Here
    - Beginners Questions
    - What Controller (as it comes up so much)
    - FAQ's
    - Moving from Analogue to Computer DJing

Operating systems
    - Mac
    - PC
    - Linux (psssssshhhhhhh hear the wind )

Software
    - Itch / Serato
    - Traktor
    - VDJ
    - Ableton
    - Others

Hardware
    - General Questions
    - Vestax
    - S4
    - Twitch
    - APC
    - Hercules
    - Other Controllers

Production
    Mappings

Just thoughts but you get the idea.
    I kinda like this idea, maybe (as I said earlier) an off-topic forum, as well as a "General DJing" forum.

And the different "brand subsections" isn't a bad idea, it's not unheard of for manufacturer reps to register on larger forums to answer user questions.

The majority of threads on here (I'm speaking from a few months back now, as I stopped properly looking through the forums around then) were constantly derailed and sent into OT oblivion, more often than not by regular forum members.

I'm sure the derailing was intended as humorous (no doubt to offset the frustration at the constant repetition of the posts) but it's only a short skip and a jump from trolling.

An OT sub forum was needed long ago, but mods put up their reasons against it.

Welcome to the intarwebz

Tech Mentor

Mr. Lehey:
    Randy, the shit-pool is getting full. We better strain it, before it overflows and causes a shit-slide that can cover this entire community.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyQuiet View Post
    i have stopped posting as much due to the fact people are idiots posting the same crap over and over,and its just taking the shine of the family feel of the forum so many people have left over the past 6 months due to the influx of people taking and not giving back.
    Valid point, but, no offense, you're one of those that ìs obviously offended by that and in return offends others by calling them idiots and bothering them with "this again"-comments and pictures. And that's where I am a big fan of the self-moderation aspect of things. I mean, one could just ignore threads he/she doesn't like, right? Things are bound to repeat itself to a certain extend, otherwise we could just stop doing this and create some fixed boring FAQ list instead.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Randy, the shit-pool is getting full. We better strain it, before it overflows and causes a shit-slide that can cover this entire community.
    TPB FTW!

I havent had much time to browse the forum lately, but it is sad to hear people are feeling this way. It may well be time to think about an OT section and harder policing of thread derailment.

I should also point out that a thread of this kind has appeared about every 6 months since the forum started, however obviously we are now a much larger forum and that could require a change in policy.

On the whole I agree.

However, sometimes newbies need a bit of tough love IMO.

This place is supposed to be like a cool record shop vibe right?

Well when I went record shopping, you had to earn a bit of respect before the man behind the counter would start high fiving you and pulling out the choice cuts for you.

When I first went in I was nervous and cautious to ask the right questions and not come across like a dick. Inevitability when you're a newb you do ask stupid things (have you got it on white label please cause it looks cooler!?) and you need to know that it's not cool.

I think there needs to be balance but honestly, sometimes being flamed by the bigger boys makes you toughen up and start to find your own way.

DJs are meant to be cool and a bit aloof... well the good ones are anyway

Just my thoughts
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

The ebb and flow of a growing forum. (Un?)fortunately, you're semi-attached to a company that is taking giant leaps and strides right now across many scenes, so you're now trolling the internet with a huge net.

You're going to get newbs, assholes, elitist pricks, super intelligent nerds, anti-social netizens, and the like. The frequency of crap threads is guaranteed to increase, and if you don't have a proper manner of dealing with said threads they are going to float to and stay on top.

Then the oldest vets start appearing less and less. Then the most recent vets.

The frequency will continue and you will experience attrition. It is only natural, and almost unavoidable, without strict forum "censorship" (ban hammers, requests to stay on topic, moving of topics, etc) until the newbs understand what can and can't go on.

Not to mention that as people grow and get more creative, they realize there is a wealth of knowledge in other, harder-to-find places. They now have their newest NI product, get it working without the training wheels, and are moving on. I personally have so little time to surf the forums now (not that I was ever hyper-active) between organizing local events, visiting the scenes around town, playing out at two new gigs... the list goes on and on.

I attribute that 100% to DJTT.

So, ask your fellow forumites to step up, smack the newbs, find your most-active on-topic users and get them to lead the way to clean out the crap and prune the forum. Otherwise, you're General Discussion will get covered up in... general discussion.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

We don't need a newbie forum - the answer is simple

If you see a thread that pisses you off because they are asking something thats been asked a thousand times, ignore it and press Back on your browser button.

Then leave it to someone else to answer
    SC | MC

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

If you see a thread that pisses you off because they are asking something thats been asked a thousand times, ignore it and press Back on your browser button.
    However if the answer is in a category which has been put in place soley for this purpose of these "silly" questions the chances of actually finding the answer are heightened instead of it being shrouded under a ton of mess.

There's alot more "toys" both software and hardware available compared to when DJTT forums started, as a result GD gets plastered with just about everything, as does the controller mappings ..

Sub cats are a simple and manageable solution IMHO.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    However if the answer is in a category which has been put in place soley for this purpose of these "silly" questions the chances of actually finding the answer are heightened instead of it being shrouded under a ton of mess.
    That's what the FAQ is for.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast