Need advice for MULTI PURPOSE MIDI controller (HELP ME!)
    Tech Mentor

Default Need advice for MULTI PURPOSE MIDI controller (HELP ME!)

Before you read this long(ish) plea for help, I'd like to mention that I would like to get something soon (I have to get back to making music!) and I will be ordering from Amazon (return policy is ftw)
    Onward! >>

So I just sold off my old Oxygen 8 (before I saw the video on using it for cue points and what not!! that's what landed me in this realm btw) and my mic setup to get money for some startup DJ gear. I got akg 518s (love the red, but sending back because they're too small - I have big ears. Need K240ish size cups!) and a Numark Mixtrack (I'm brand new to DJing so I figure this is not a bad way to test the waters)

I am realizing that the type of DJ I want to be (besides Akira Kiteshi, and I have no idea how to even start doing that) is more with cue points, one-hits, loops, and effects. So I don't think I even need the jogs... I also now need a keyboard for my classical composition (Sibelius, etc. Yeah, symphonic composer trying to be a dj... well I've done house and hip hop beats before...)

Anyway, I've been thinking about trigger pads. Of course the APC40 was what made me notice Ableton in the first place, but I love the "We Will Rock You" mashup I saw with the korg nano.

Should I get my own type of keyboard (keystudio 61es or whatever) and a Novation Launchpad, or should I opt for something like an Axiom or MPK49? I will get 150 back for returning the phones and mixtrack, and have maybe 150 more right now. Also thinking of an Oxygen 49 and an LPD8 (faders and pots on the keyboard and separate pads that would be more replaceable/upgradable?)

Things to consider - resale value (and sale-ability?), build quality (feel of use), software integration (thinking of using Traktor instead of Live for mashups - that's for another thread, though...) P-P-P-PRICE, and honestly, coolness factor - I need to feel like hot shit when I'm producing music, otherwise I fall lame - Needs to be fun, right?? You get the idea!

Help an idiot out here? Thanks a million, guys - great site. I think I'll stay, btw!
    Last edited by LmnLm3; 07-27-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: formatting

Tech Mentor

Oh, and I'd also like to be able to DJ events with whatever I end up getting (not the top priority, but it would be nice to get some money on the side - for now I'm just doing mixtape style djing in the bedroom)

you can't beat the launchpad really for the cost and it's flexability. great for clip launching etc with led feedback and soooo cheap - just not the best pads on the planet - tho i have no issues with them. if i want to be able to trigger really quickly then i use my lpd8. those two controllers are possibly the biggest bargains out there and i can't see how they could ever lose all that much value. i paid 80gbp for my launchpad and 40quid for my lpd8. i'll probably pick up another of each sometime as i could easily use two of them both.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Wizard

I love my APC40. Beast on ableton, and I remapped mine for traktor aswell! Works a treat! I can send you my tsi if you need it c:

Tech Guru

What I think... You shouldn't consider something for resale value otherwise you are just buying it to try it out... You should get a product you NEED. Avoid the korg nano series from my experience (2 pads and 1 kontol) they are the biggest heaps of shit a musical company has ever mass produced.

Figure out your exact needs in terms of djing and try and remember that you might want to try new things when you get into it more. Try and picture how you are going to use stuff and don't go by people videos because then you'll just be trying to copy there style, best bet is to think about mapping before you buy... It's alright for beginners to use pre made maps but if you want something unique, you'll need to map it yourself in a way no one else has done..... Just my suggestions feel free to ignore if you want.
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for that - I got an MPK mini for now, trying to figure out how to map (it's a real pain)

Thinking of LP though, so versatile... I wish there was a launchpad with mini-keys!!! (would get lpk25 but the mpk mini is only like $20 more, and $20 is a good price for the lpd8 they slap on top!)

I think I need to create a controller from scratch, but I don't know enough about doing any of that (I could do HID but I would want a native MIDI from the usb... hell, I'm exaggerating when I say I could do HID, but you get the idea)

Even though just buying a ready controller isn't as fun as making your own(trust me, can't imagine the feeling when you get your first prototype up and running xD), however it's almost impossible to replicate the quality of a commercial controller. The commercial ones almost always have a better design and feeling(better materials etc etc) and the software inside is almost always faster than the homebred programs

It sounds like something like the Launchpad, MIDI Fighter Classic, Trigger Finger, Akai MPD series... are the types of controllers that will be really suitable for you. What I really like about pad controllers are that they usually come with extra faders and knobs that allow for much more flexibility than with something like the MIDI Fighter Classic or even the Launchpad. But then you really can't beat the feel of arcade buttons (at least I can't) or the sheer amount of buttons, in the case of the Launchpad. It sounds like you're already looking in the right direction.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    you can't beat the launchpad really for the cost and it's flexability. great for clip launching etc with led feedback and soooo cheap - just not the best pads on the planet - tho i have no issues with them. if i want to be able to trigger really quickly then i use my lpd8. those two controllers are possibly the biggest bargains out there and i can't see how they could ever lose all that much value. i paid 80gbp for my launchpad and 40quid for my lpd8. i'll probably pick up another of each sometime as i could easily use two of them both.
    This.
    I have an LPD8 and im currently mapping it and its a steal for the 30e i paid for it. But if you want all the buttons you should ever need go with the launch pad.
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8