First mix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First mix

Default First mix

So this is the first mix i ever recorded. I havent been puting enough time in which is obvious i feel.. dont talk shit.. just give me advice please. thanks

2 x Technics 1210 M5g / Rane TTM 56 / Rokit krk 8's and 10s / Lenovo 15" i7 4gb / Oxygen 8v2 / HDJ-2000 / TSP2 Audio 10

noone has any advice to offer? i know some mixes were ok and some wer def off. like for instance when i drop boy 8 bits remix of jolene. or my first mix from alex metric into the twelves. but as far as a dj set i wana know if there is somthing obvious i need to work on to make a more cohesive set.
    2 x Technics 1210 M5g / Rane TTM 56 / Rokit krk 8's and 10s / Lenovo 15" i7 4gb / Oxygen 8v2 / HDJ-2000 / TSP2 Audio 10

track lists/genre are always good to add, i mean if its dubstep i have no clue what to say, if its house i can help

Quote Originally Posted by grazz16 View Post
    track lists/genre are always good to add, i mean if its dubstep i have no clue what to say, if its house i can help
    +1
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by grazz16 View Post
    +1

I have to admit that if someone doesn't say what genre their mix is then I won't ever listen to it.

Tech Mentor

If someone posts and says it's their "first track" or their "first mix" it's practically begging people NOT to listen to it. I am a contrarian kind of person so I like to be different, but, much like branding onesself as an "aspiring" DJ, you damn yourself with faint praise. Own it.

This is not your FIRST mix which you have to apologize for 3x before anyone has even heard it... it's a SHINING ACHIEVEMENT IN MIXOLOGY by you, DJ Whomever, who welcomes input and feedback on his MAJESTIC ARTISTIC CREATION. It's not called "7-27" it's called "SUPER DOPE AWESOME JAMMING BEATS FOR YOU TO BUG OUT TO". And it has a tracklist! Cmon! ;P

With all that meta-stuff said.. my GF and I listened to your mix. Here goes the feedback, I assure you I am not hating, my comments are entirely in the spirit of giving you feedback to help with improving your craft.

I guess this is.. electro haus? You seem to start at a 10 for energy level, no real intro or build up. The first mix is harmonically weird, as someone pointed out on soundcloud. I'm not sure these two tracks can be made to sound good together in transition. Going from one full indie dance punk vocal to another full indie dance punk vocal is a bit much for my personal taste, and makes me worry if the whole mix will be full on vocal tracks.

7 minutes now.. the third track comes in.. it sounds like dance punk.. I am hoping it doesn't have a vocal.. The blend is better but your volume levels are a bit off. I guess there are a lot of producers who really like the sound of "Nite Versions" by Soulwax. I am glad, with this third track, to finally have a bit of a breather. Pretty cool bassline drop. Is this still electro haus or is dubstep just making everything bass-crazier? 10 minutes and I'm glad this track hasn't had a vocal. Not wild about the melody, but alright. Boy the bass on this track sure is ill. Back in my day we didn't have bass like this. We had single oscillators uphill both ways in the snow. And we liked it!

it's 12 minutes and I'm glad you're mixing. All of your mix ins seem to be relatively loud, and your mix outs relatively quick. Are you about to play "Private Jet" By Danny Soundz? It sorta sounds like you are. I wish again for a tracklist. Hrm, this track is also breaking down. So we've had two full on tracks and two tracks with big big breakdowns? Kinda a lot of push and pull for 4 tracks.. I guess no "Private Jet".

16 minutes and a rough mix. But I like the bit it turns into around 17 minutes. Still digging the bass sounds more than the rest of the music. My GF isn't enjoying this particular track, FWIW. I wonder to myself if it is some electro cover of something. It's 20:45 and you're mixing.. that mix was sorta ok, but you still came in pretty loud with your new record. While I'm not wild about the particular vocal, I am glad to have a vocal pop in at this point in the mix. This track is alright. Is this fidget or electro haus or what?

Another long breakdown/build. More than my taste. Weird tempo change? At 24 minutes.. alright, a drop. 25 minutes and you're mixing again.. vocal track into vocal track again. Don't care for the new vocal personally. 26 minutes and I really don't like the wailing vocal.

About this point I started skipping ahead to hear when you're mixing. The mix around 30 minutes is pretty good, I like that you take it down a bit. It seems like mixes like this would be much improved if you eqed the two tracks to be complimentary. Another prominent vocal. Another long breakdown/build. Ears getting tired.

Awkward/fast mix at 36 minutes. New track is some latinish thing? Kinda ok. Extended build....... vocal I don't like. This is, sadly, starting to be a trend, heh. 40 minutes, another vocal. I like the vocal chopping a lot but I'm so tired of vocals and horns by this point that I'm not really getting into it. My GF doesn't like the jazz chops. New track at 44 minutes and it kinda sounds like the synth from "Thriller". Then an electro bassline drops. Another track around 47 minutes with a wobbly bassline. Around 49 minutes we get crazy hard building pounding? The mix is really going to end in 7 minutes? Or is the Joker going to blow up a hospital??? OMG 50 minutes!!!! THE JOKER!!

And now a dubstep wobble with house. Again, I like the bass more than the rest of the music. But if you decide to stay with this, this might be a decent outro track. I like the nitzer-ebb pounding bits around 51 minutes. Join in the chant!!! 51:45 and you're mixing in what sounds like an outro track based on bongos. 52:30, this is sounding outroey. Hrm..

52:45, why did we pick it back up? The mix is over in a few minutes.. I smell a breakdown, a build and a big drop coming... oh.. but the drop disappoints. Is it a fake out drop? Yes it sorta is except the real drop isn't too fabulous either. It's 54 minutes, we have 2:30 left and this sounds outroey.. 55 minutes and we just dropped with 1 minute left? 56 minutes and you fade out, which makes some sense... it seems like perhaps you make a bit too much use of the filter to fade, over-all?

In summary, I didn't particularly care for most of the tracks and I felt that the mix lacked logical progression. I didn't mind the vocals or big breakdowns/builds but having them feature on most tracks was a bit exhausting. On the plus side, your tracks seemed like they would be appreciated by someone who is more into that style of music. Your mixing was generally pretty good but I feel like you could focus more on EQ and levels when you mix in and out, and extend the phrasing of some of your mixes to be less abrupt. I would also like to hear you mix more quickly, though I understand that as a beginning DJ this is one of the biggest challenges of all..

Keep at it! Onward and upward!

!!! AWESOMER !!!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I wish I had time to do mix reviews like that. Great job Awesomer!
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Default thank you

your review was most helpful. It was encouraging to hear that some mixes were decent and all your "shit talking" was def. takin as C&C... one thing you said that really stood out to me is that there was no logical progression, and that the use of vocals was too much over and over. I def am interested what you mean by eq'ing the songs to compliment each other, and im very much aware that i need get my levels right.. i also noticed i mixed things in too loud. I'll put some effort into practicing the things you suggested and then work on a new mix with a proper title and hopefully a logical progression. thanks

Basically agree with Awesomer, often your transitions just souded messy, far too much going on. I'd say to just keep it simple and use your headphones more, if it sounds messy and clashing, pick a different tune.

I'm really looking forward to your review of the dubstep mix I uploaded if your gonna break it down like that Awesomer, respect!
    HP Envy 14 - EKS Otus - 2 x Midifighter Classics - Midifighter 3D - Korg KM202 - X Session Pro - M-Audio AV40

- http://soundcloud.com/joshlomas -

Tech Wizard

Great Job for a first mix!! the transitions could have been a little smoother but all and all a good mix! would love it if you checked out my summer mix!

http://soundcloud.com/kevin-co​lin/summer-fun-mix

keep on keepin' on!
    Last edited by kevin-colin; 08-05-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast