The Decline of DJing In The Digital Age
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Decline of DJing In The Digital Age

Hey guys,
    So I've written another opinion piece for my blog. I know it's bound to get a few frowns and bad reactions from the positive DJTT crowd, but I still wanted to share with you guys and hopefully get some responses, good or bad. I know most readers/poster on this forum don't fall into the general poser crowd, so try and not get too offended. And if you do, let me know!
    I basically talked about our reliances on technology and what that's lead to.

Avoiding The Edge of Disaster: The Decline of DJing In The Digital Age

Thanks!
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

I really tried to read your blog, but the white on black text started to make my vision strobe!

I got the gist of the 1st half though. You say that the format is important because it helps to "distinguish the trend following posers from the real fans".

Who exactly is supposed going around checking what people are playing on and judging them based on what they see (rather than what they hear)?
    It's only other DJs, the crowd couldn't give a shit. And rightly so. All that matters is the music coming out the speakers. Which is why DJs are still just as relevant, because it them who chose what is playing. You could say that with the current overload of available music the DJ is more important than ever, as they hopefully sort the wheat from the chaff and play the right tracks at the right time to get people dancing.

Yes anyone can put some tunes on a laptop and blag a gig (although this in itself isnt a s easy as it sounds), but if they havnt got the minerals to select the right tunes, then they wont be playing again.

I wonder if all this agro against laptop DJs is actually just a fear of losing out on gigs because of more people getting into the game. If you know you're a good selector and have a bag of great tunes, then what are you worrying about?
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

A few good points in there, but I have a horrible feeling this thread is going to turn into YET ANOTHER beatmatching vs sync pissing contest. Let's hope not. DON'T DO IT PEOPLE!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I think DJs have a bright future in this digital age. Why? Well in this age of mass access to all kinds of music most listeners just don't have time and energy to find interesting stuff and rely on top-40 and similar lists. Pandora and similar system are not clever enough to make interesting connections to new music.

What it means that good DJs will go out and find interesting music from new sources like SoundCloud where you could find really interesting stuff every day. That and play it for the audience.

In this age being unique and different makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vly View Post
    Hey guys,
    So I've written another opinion piece for my blog. I know it's bound to get a few frowns and bad reactions from the positive DJTT crowd, but I still wanted to share with you guys and hopefully get some responses, good or bad. I know most readers/poster on this forum don't fall into the general poser crowd, so try and not get too offended. And if you do, let me know!
    I basically talked about our reliances on technology and what that's lead to.

Avoiding The Edge of Disaster: The Decline of DJing In The Digital Age

Thanks!
    Good blog. There's always room for both vinyl and digital, I don't know if ones better than the other, surely there just different. I was a vinyl dj from 1975 - 1990 playing clubs and radio etc, I wouldn't wont to go back to that. I'm now having fun with my VCI 100 albeit at home and not in clubs but that's fine it's more like a hobby to me now but I have been lucky enough to have Dj'd with vinyl in some of the best clubs in the UK.

Sure you have to move with the times but there's nothing wrong with working with classical equipment either.

I have a similar dilemma with photography. I learned my trade with film, getting my hands dirty in developer in dark rooms etc. In a way digital photography is a godsend because it makes my job quicker, cheaper and easier but what it has also done is make everyone who buy's a digital camera now think there a photographer :eek:

What digital has done is this - it has dumbed down both photography and dj'ing - and made it more accessible to the masses. When I was a dj, there weren't that many others around, same with photography but now dj's and photographers are 10 a penny, everyone I meet these days is either a dj or their a photographer, go figure. I don't know if this is good or bad. It could be good because competition is always good, it makes us work harder to prove our worth and rise above the the humdrum. It makes you work harder to be better.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant.

All the best
    IPM
    Vestax VCI 100 se Arcade | Traktor Scratch Pro | Ableton Live 8 | N I Audio Kontrol 1 | MacBook Pro 15" | & some other bits & bobs
    My VCI 100 Se DIY Arcade Mod - With upgrade walk through photos
    My Blog
    My Site

Honest question:

Why is it so objectionable to want to come out with some banging tunes you know will work and get people whipped into a frenzy?

If both are done well, why is "the dj who educates someone on music and takes them on a journey" (as if it's some sacred, time-tested profession) the "good guy" and the person who puts together rocking (perhaps disposable) beats and just obliterates the floor the "bad guy?"

edit: my mind wandered a bit during writing that, sorry. The "good guy" is represented by the vinylist. The "bad guy" is the internet downloader with all the new, hot tunes.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Man, sorry but this just feels like a tired debate, for me anyway.

Your asking a collective question that isn't going get a collective answer.

People who are good at producing are still going to produce good music and djs who are good at bringing the best out that music are going to shine.

Same as it ever was. Quality is quality
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Man, sorry but this just feels like a tired debate, for me anyway.

Your asking a collective question that isn't going get a collective answer.

People who are good at producing are still going to produce good music and djs who are good at bringing the best out that music are going to shine.

Same as it ever was. Quality is quality
    This is pretty much what I was trying to say. Just much more succinctly.
    1 too many heinekens...
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

It is tired and we literally just had it. I love your blog Vly, and if we didn't have this same discussion I would let it roll, but it's just to soon.

EDIT: I'm keeping a very close eye on this. I will not hesitate to close it at the slightest hint of insult either way.
    Last edited by photojojo; 07-28-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

what this topic feels like

what will never happen

(the topic being represented by the dude on the bottom getting beaten by Ren by a boat paddle)
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast