iPad midi over cable
    Tech Guru

Default iPad midi over cable

Before I start I will say I DON'T don't to do it over wifi.
    I'm just curious if anyone knows why we can't use the official USB cable for syncing the iPad to a computer to make it a plug in USB controller, what is preventing it from doing so? What does the camera kit do that the main cable doesn't??

I want to link it to traktor over cable since I have problems connecting to a wifi and feel like a cable would work better. I don't want a way to fix my wifi connection since I wouldn't play live over wifi.

Any one had any experience or know any hacks using jail breaking (which is legal) to get this connection working??
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

you can do this already with touchOSC & midiTOUCH

i use the ipad cable + the ipad camera kit (just buy a 3rd party one off ebay for a few quid) and just plug it in to a midi interface and your good to go.

its a shame you have to use the camera kit but as i say just buy a 3rd party one.

Tech Mentor

The camera kit adds core midi connectivity via USB

Wifi tethering apps like Mywi will do what you want. They send network data down the official lead so will you still need to run network to midi conversion sw on the computer running Traktor.

I've posted what I'm using a few times in threads asking about wired connections
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30678
    (A cheapo camera kit clone, 2 midi to USB leads (under £4 each) and 2 midi to midi connectors (£3 each))

Tech Guru

Found mywi earlier and it worked perfect, just installed, turned it on, loaded mapping into traktor and into touch osc and it worked no problem. Thanks for the replies though would recommend mywi, latency is at 1ms
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Mywi costs $20 now. Still better than the cost of midi cables and camera kits but still pretty bummed. I want a solution that isn't so hacky.