Is it a cop out to fill your event with girls?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Is it a cop out to fill your event with girls?

Hey guys I'm gonna get right the point here. Long story short me and 3 other local djs threw an event last night that was a bust. There were a number of reasons why: last minute promotions, out of the way venue, long weekend so people go out of town.

Anyway i was talking to a friend of mine about promoting and going beyond things like Facebook and whatever else. He said just fill the place with girls and you'll be set. While I'm aware of this concept theres a few ways i feel about this.

1) it's a cop out/too easy - great there's girls and people at the event, but ultimately do they care about the event or just that there's girls there. I feel like it's a surface level fix and doesn't fix the problem in the long run I.e. Loyal following for future events.

2) "what's in it for me" - As much as I'd love to have a huge circle of girlfriends that i could rely on i don't, therefore i feel like there would have to be an incentive eventually for girls to come to these events. What would be enough of an incentive? I even feel this way about friends, I really want them to come and bring as many people as they can with them I'd love to be able to reward them as well for filling the events.

3) it's all about the music - not really if all we are focused on is getting girls to the event, girls who may hate the music or atmosphere were trying to a create. We had 4 locals last night bangin out some great classic hip hop and with the skill to match. This one cat was doing some on point beat juggling. If we have girls and people there who just want to hear the Latest Kesha track kind of defeats the purpose of the event all together.

Tech Guru

I'd love to hear your guys thoughts on this. I apologize for any spelling mistakes or missing words, I'm doing this from my iPad.

Tech Guru

Hummm.. Its all about the atmosphere IMO. If I think there will be lots of girls going to an event and I am a single male it would more then likely be the deciding factor for a lot of people I remember someone say for an incentive... A group of 5 or 6 girls that show up together will get a free bottle of champagne.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Guru

It's all about the girls man.

I live in Miami and it doesn't matter what genre or crowd you are talking about. Get girls that listen to the music you want to play, the rest will follow, the atmosphere will be a positive one, and you guys will build a following for great times.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

It's not a party unless there's girls dancing. Just let them in free or at a reduced rate?
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If it weren't for girls at the club I wouldn't be married.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by misha_val View Post
    It's not a party unless there's girls dancing. Just let them in free or at a reduced rate?
    (If you don't wanna read my explanation and just get straight to the answer, it's the last line. But anyways......)

Exactly. From personal experience, half the reason I go to clubs are for the girls so if you make sure you have girls at your parties, then there should be a good following of people starting to show up.

From what I've seen of clubs near me that have special offers like drink specials or reduced covers or what have you, I think they're good ideas because that's not only going to attract more girls but also more dudes to try and hook up with these girls.

Long story short, it would be a win win to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    "Hey bro, you got any Skrillex? How about Deadmaufive?"
    http://www.mixcloud.com/robindore/

a) Part of Djing is playing for your crowd. If you don't have a crowd to play for than why even DJ?

b) Guys 1) want to listen to good music and 2)meet hot girls when they go out. Guys can certainly go without 1 if you have 2 but if 1 without 2 is a much harder sell.

c) There are plenty of girls who would listen to the music you DJ. Trust me. I've seen hot girls at all sorts of different venues playing different genres and all of these girls were having a blast.

d) You're really selling girls short here. I have friends that are girls and that are your typical "top 40's" listeners, who don't really ever listen to the music I spin but love going to shows with me and love seeing me spin.I took a bunch of those girls to the club the other night and they had a great time before my friends got us kicked out. Girls just WANT TO DANCE. Give them a beat to dance to and they will figure it out and start dancing. Honestly with an attitude like you have you'll never even get far enough to find out if any girl likes the music you spin. Give them the benefit of the doubt, if they don't like it, they'll leave anyway and you'll be right where you started: with no girls at your event. If you were more open you might be able to get girls to come just because IT'S YOU SPINNING and they want to support you.

I don't know where you live and if you don't live in a big city it will definitely be harder to find women who dig your style. In Boston and NY there is such an eclectic mix of people it's not hard to entice people to come to a show and it's not hard to find people who want to listen to what your playing. Just BE OPEN. Getting girls to come to your show is just like getting girls to come back to your place, but way fucking easier. "Hey, there is going to be good music, booze, dancing, and fun!" - how many girls would pass this up?

If you're playing music that isn't danceable than you're probably not going to be playing very long. As cool as it is to see a guy cut it up on the decks even I wouldn't want to go once a week to something like that if he isn't going to let the crowd rock to the beat for a little bit. Even when guys like Shiftee play out at a club they aren't doing scratch routines the whole time. He cuts it up for the first like 5 minutes or so and then mixes for the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw1pA...eature=related

Depends on your goals for the event i think. If you play stuff like tech house or techno and wanna showcase great tracks and sets for the music, you're gonna have a hell of a time getting girls out anyway imo. Im basing this solely on the fact that im pretty sure i know a grand total of 0 girls who even know what tech house is. Now if you are playing top 40 all night, then its not a cop out to try and play up the female factor cuz in reality thats why most ppl go clubbing to begin with.

Everyone knows sex sells, perhaps the best way of looking at it is appealing to the 'uneducated masses' with what Frank said "Hey, there is going to be good music, booze, dancing, and fun!", get the girls in, and then hoping at least some ppl are gonna be buying what you are selling musically as well

Short answer: No

Long answer: No

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast