ICON iDJ First Impressions - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I'd recommend you get to grips with Traktor's mapping - it is pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it - find your function (eg select_set_store_hotcue value 1), press learn, then press the iDJ button you want to trigger it. That's it!

(Well, almost - you'll probably want to delete the previous use for that button from the default iDJ mapping.)

I haven't played with iMap properly yet, but if you rely on iMap you won't be able to access any functions not already mapped (like cues) in the default iDJ mapping.

Also, if you use iMap layers, you'll have to remember your iMap layer settings when creating (and using) your Traktor mapping - it is probably simpler to do layers in the Traktor mappings instead so it is all in once place. You can have any number of layers (called Modifiers in Traktor) and you can control them however you wish.

For advanced mapping, check out the recent article on this site that tells you how to make a button store a cue in the next available slot. I'd like to also map a button that selects each cue in turn each time you press it, if I can find a way. That way you could get pretty good cue functionality from a couple buttons. I'll post back if I manage it.

Tech Mentor

The Jogs on the IDJ always seem off set at first. All you have to do is get a torc screw driver (very small) and remove the three screws that keep the aluminum plate attached to the top. Once the plate is removed, There are three more (Phillips Head) screws to remove, or loosen. You can set the Jogs to be even by adjusting the wheel once the three Phillips Head screws are loose. Once you get the Jogs straightened to your liking, simply tighten the phillips head screws and your good to go. I have two of these units and both arrived with seemingly off centered Jogs. Only required me to loosen the screws and center the Jogs manually and they are pretty much perfectly centered.

No LED feedback for this unit. IDJ American Rep said they had no plans of incorperating LED feedback at the moment. He wasnt even sure if it was a hardware or software issue (?). I dont think the IDJ will ever see a release in the AMerican market.

The buttons on IDJ have a huge amount of travel and the rubber buttons sometimes get stuck in the square plasitic that they sit in. The Pitch faders will break if you look at it the wrong way. And the Knobs seems to want to Jump off the unit with a vengence.

The Jogs are stellar though.....the Jogs are the strong point of this unit.

Quote Originally Posted by thictool View Post
    The Jogs on the IDJ always seem off set at first. All you have to do is get a torc screw driver (very small) and remove the three screws that keep the aluminum plate attached to the top. Once the plate is removed, There are three more (Phillips Head) screws to remove, or loosen. You can set the Jogs to be even by adjusting the wheel once the three Phillips Head screws are loose.
    My unit also arrived needing adjusting, but I just stuck a small Phillips screwdriver through the hole in the face plate and adjusted directly that way - I didn't need to remove anything. (Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post.)

I've not had any robustness issues, errant knobs or faders, but I'll bear your comments in mind when packing thanks thictool.

My grumble would be it needs a decoder or two, ie, knobs that click as they go round.

I'd say another strong point of this controller is its functionality crammed into such a compact size. It makes some of the knobs a little fiddly, but I've not had a problem as the jog sensitivity is alterable, and it means I can easily fit a touch-sensitive and pretty comprehensive controller in my rucksack while travelling. If I had a netbook I could fit a full DJ rig in a handbag!

Quote Originally Posted by technicaltitch View Post
    I've not had any robustness issues, errant knobs or faders, but I'll bear your comments in mind when packing thanks thictool.
    the right hand pitch fader pretty much didnt work when i first got it - so just removed most of it. no real loss.

My grumble would be it needs a decoder or two, ie, knobs that click as they go round.
    if u mean an endless encoder then yep that would be very handy.

I'd say another strong point of this controller is its functionality crammed into such a compact size. It makes some of the knobs a little fiddly, but I've not had a problem as the jog sensitivity is alterable, and it means I can easily fit a touch-sensitive and pretty comprehensive controller in my rucksack while travelling. If I had a netbook I could fit a full DJ rig in a handbag!
    yep. i think it's very cool as a very small/portable controller with touch sensitive jogs and shed loads of controls. sure they're not ideal, but better than nothing if it means u can carry it with you as opposed to nothing... people seem to consider the numark dj2go and not the idj for some odd reason... sure the dj2go is cheaper - but there's a reason for that
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    numark dj2go and not the idj for some odd reason... sure the dj2go is cheaper - but there's a reason for that
    The dj2go is a pretty useless gimmick imho. Above all, no bass/mid/high faders? Surely one of the main reasons for using a controller over a mouse is to make simultaneous adjustments..and surely pretty much every single mix ever involves at least a little EQ. Can't believe they missed those out - put the dj2go in the 'very very beginner'/silly gimmick market. Also, no volume sliders on each deck. Nice design - looks nicer than the iDJ - but only four faders on the whole unit, of which two have to be deck volume, versus the iDJ's 16, (including the deck volume sliders). iDJ also has nearly double the buttons, (not to mention touch sensitivity). I'd say a closer competition for the iDJ is the Hercules e2, which is a bit bigger and sturdier, very nicely built, especially the drivers which are phenomenally solid, similar price, but no jog touch sensitivity and too big for my rucksack..

Quote Originally Posted by technicaltitch View Post
    The dj2go is a pretty useless gimmick imho. Above all, no bass/mid/high faders? Surely one of the main reasons for using a controller over a mouse is to make simultaneous adjustments..and surely pretty much every single mix ever involves at least a little EQ. Can't believe they missed those out - put the dj2go in the 'very very beginner'/silly gimmick market. Also, no volume sliders on each deck. Nice design - looks nicer than the iDJ - but only four faders on the whole unit, of which two have to be deck volume, versus the iDJ's 16, (including the deck volume sliders). iDJ also has nearly double the buttons, (not to mention touch sensitivity). I'd say a closer competition for the iDJ is the Hercules e2, which is a bit bigger and sturdier, very nicely built, especially the drivers which are phenomenally solid, similar price, but no jog touch sensitivity and too big for my rucksack..
    yet oddly a lot of reviews i have read about the dj2go have rated it fairly well - for what it is. compared to next to no one really reviewing the idj...

what i was missing was touch sensitive jogs to add to whatever other mini controllers i fancied mapping/combining. i almost bought a gemini firstmix. more toylike and less useful controls apart from the jogs but they look slightly bigger than the idj's ones.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    yet oddly a lot of reviews i have read about the dj2go have rated it fairly well - for what it is.
    I think the reviews are misleading - they are done by DJs who see the dj2go as a nicely put together little toy, because it maps to the software so sweetly. However I think the reviewers leave unsaid that they would never ever ever consider playing a party with one, which may mislead fresh faced enthusiasts. Granted the iDJ would take a tiny bit more setting up, but you have something that will remain useful after the first flush of enthusiasm passes and someone tries to do anything more creative than Start A, Start B, Sync, crossfade, repeat..

Tech Convert

Hi guys,

I have the possibility to buy this controller brand new for 30 dollars, but before buy it, i'd like to know if it works very well with tractor pro ?

Thank you in advance for your help

Quote Originally Posted by malafuti View Post
    Hi guys,

I have the possibility to buy this controller brand new for 30 dollars, but before buy it, i'd like to know if it works very well with tractor pro ?

Thank you in advance for your help
    works fine with traktor. someone posted here their official tsi - which i think u can also download from their website, tho the link didn't seem to work for me last time i tried.

only thing i'd really want to check if buying a 2nd one is what state the pots and faders are in. they're not the best quality ever and will get a bit loose/wobbly over time. mine is still mostly fine apart from one fader that was broken when i first got it tho and one pot that is only a bit loose due to me trying to change the caps

don't bother contacting icon support, I have sent them 6 emails in relation to my idj and istage and not one reply, I was mapping my istage to as 2 midi fighters (instant grat and deckalized combined) and a mixer and was having issues with duplicate midi messages for the led note on commands. I first contacted their suppliers for answers, was told simply "i don't know" then emailed their support gave them as much info as I could which was a lot and got nothing back after repeat requests! /rant
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast