Noob Help - Kontrol S4 or NS6?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Noob Help - Kontrol S4 or NS6?

Hi all, forgive me if I put this in the wrong forum, just looking for a little guidance.

I started messing around with Traktor Pro 2 about 2 weeks ago and thought I'd waste some money on a controller just to mess around a bit to see if I was any good.

I went with the Numark Omni Control which I actually just got last Wednesday. I've been messing with it ever since - having a lot of fun with it, but I think I want something more and I can still return the omni control for a full refund.

I've become familiar with Traktor and have no Serato Itch experience, but its not too late to change.

I'm looking at the S4 but my buddy says I should go with NS6 and learn Itch. Every review says good and bad things about both so there is no clear winner. His two points were loop roll and ableton integration. However, beatmasher is similar to loop roll and you can integrate ableton into traktor as well.

I'm at a loss, I don't want to sink $900 into something and wish I got something else.

I also fell into a pair of sl-1200mk2's for a nice price which started all of this. It looks like both controllers will allow you to hook up turntables to them. I know the S4 will do scratching with a timecode vinyl, is the NS6 the same?

Thanks for any help!

Ed

You can only do timecode with the s4. AFAIK the ns6 will not be able to work with serato scratch and timecode in the future.

Honestly s4+timecode is disappointing. The s4 is too wide to use with techs. I did it for a while and if you are going to go that route, save the money and get a dn x1600 or djm 900 nexus and do timecode.

Actually according to scratchworx it does support ssl vinyl timecode control. Interesting.

I probably won't be using the techs too much, just thought it was a nice added feature. I will mostly just be using the controller and a laptop.

I was actually thinking about selling one of the decks anyway as I bought them just to listen to old vinyl. I just happened to find two for the price one.
    nope.

Tech Guru

i have the S4 and it's good, but .... but ... I'm with Frank. Better get the DN-X1600 + X1. In terms of control, there's not much the X1 (or a pair of X1s) can't do and the S4 can. Mixer & audio wise, the S4 & NS6 are POOR compared to the X1600!

the fact is that the S4 used to be a "compact" solution, though it's not. All bags and cases which can hold it are big (not to say huge). For about the same size, you are getting a much better setup with a DN-X1600 + 2xX1s and cost wise, they are not that far apart. Such a setup blows the NS6 badly ... specs and usability wise ... and NS6 is a better hardware than the S4 for sure.

For controller, I strongly recommend you TWITCH - it seems so very right. Add an X1 to it and with the new deal, it'll give you a TP2 license for free till September. This way, you'll have both licensed ITCH & TP2 and for less than the cost of an S4. Having used the S4, I can assure that you don't practically need 4 channel faders for C&D sample decks - the sample slots have individual filter & volume control, so the X1 will be just fine in addition to what TWITCH has. Now that's a GREAT portable setup.

@Frank - Gizmo's SSL tests were made with SL3 interface attached - of course it can route the SSL audio through it
    Last edited by loop; 08-03-2011 at 04:02 PM.

To confirm that - my review specifically talks of using external audio interfaces for DVS control. The NS6 cannot support DVS directly.

I would look into a Novation Twitch before a NS6 if I were you, if timecode support is not a deal breaker.

No love for the S4 then? I've watched a few vids on the Twtich, will need to investigate further.

Tech Guru

there is love - i love mine a lot! it's great, but I no longer think it's the greatest choice of all.

It gives a great bang for the buck, especially with the free TSP upgrade deal. It gives very good control over traktor, but in fact, it does the same as an X1, except for the jogs and the pitch sliders. Both the jogs and the sliders are only important for manual beat matching sooooo ...

Even with an S4, it's still best to get an additional X1 for full 4 decks control. NS6 - well, it has analogue mixer, but the audio interface is the same as in the S4 - 4in/4out => you will be mixing in software/internal. If you want a real mixer, the proper choice is DN-X1600 and up, the one in the NS6 is just crippled (sort of).

Note that there's an S2 and very likely an X2 on the way and that will be officially revealed in the next few weeks.

as of now, I think most DJTT members would suggest TWITCH(+X1) or DNX1600+X1.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    No love for the S4 then? I've watched a few vids on the Twtich, will need to investigate further.
    I love my S4 when it's working

Seriously though if you are leaning towards Traktor you won't be disappointed with a S4.

If you want the option of Serato Itch & Traktor then go for the Twitch.

If you want controller + timecode then S4 is really your only option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast