Captcha's Magical Mix (Commercial Dubstep Bangers)

Default Captcha's Magical Mix (Commercial Dubstep Bangers)

This is my first ever attempt at a Dubstep mix so please be kind, just threw this together cos id love to get into playing some dubstep nights cos the vibe is always mental at them!

Criticism welcome!

Tracklist;
    1. Chiptune RMX of the Harry Potter Theme
    2. Afrojack - Take Over Control (Adam F Remix)
    3. Magnetic Man - Anthemic
    4. Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper (Colatron Mashup)
    5. Nate Dogg & Warren G - Regulate (Wick-it RMX)
    6. DJ Fresh - Louder (Flux Pavillion & Doctor P RMX)
    7. Flux Pavillion - Bass Cannon (Flomboy RMX)
    8. Borgore - Foes
    9. Dizzee Rascal - Stand Up Tall (Colatron Mashup)
    10. The Prodigy - Breath (Numbernin6 RMX)
    11. Professor Green - Monster feat. Example (Kamo & Crooked RMX)
    12. Sub Focus - Could This Be Real (Joker RMX)
    13. Modestep - Sunlight
    14. Doctor P - Big Boss
    15. Nero - Innocence
    Last edited by captcha; 08-03-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by captcha View Post
    This is my first ever attempt at a Dubstep mix so please be kind, just threw this together cos id love to get into playing some dubstep nights cos the vibe is always mental at them!
    I love that you described this mix as being in the genre "Commercial Dubstep" ... that might be the best name for it since "brostep" ...

!!! AWESOMER !!!
    PS - If I can stomach listening to a mix that has "Bass Cannon" on it, I will try to listen later and give you some actual feedback.

Dude. Good selection for brostep, but i guess the transitions could still do with a little work. But yeah (: Practice makes perfect. Digging it
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Cheers for the feedback guys.

Yeah I tried to make it commercially acceptable as it's tailored for a new club night that's opening were I live, and although it's a dubstep night, I get the vibe that these 'brostep' tunes are what they're after. Tbf, i'd never listen to Bass Cannon on my iPod, i'd much rather some Burial or Breakage or something, but in a club like that it would go off!

Also, yeah i'm used to mixing vocal house tunes so i need to work on the transition a bit. I might post a selection of deeper cuts sometime!

Awesomer, having read some of your other reviews, i'm pretty keen to hear your thoughts man!
    HP Envy 14 - EKS Otus - 2 x Midifighter Classics - Midifighter 3D - Korg KM202 - X Session Pro - M-Audio AV40

- http://soundcloud.com/joshlomas -

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by captcha View Post
    Awesomer, having read some of your other reviews, i'm pretty keen to hear your thoughts man!
    I listened to your mix twice, in my car (with the subwoofer) and while shopping for groceries at Trader Joe's.

Here's my feedback in bullet point format :

- Most of your mixes were pretty solid, although it seemed like perhaps the mix was overall a bit quiet. It seemed like some of the tracks didn't quite have the overwhelming sub bass and wobbles that one would expect from brostep.

- I heard two mixes which were fudged enough that I would not personally use this mix to promote myself to a new club booker. I am, however, obsessively neurotic about this sort of thing, so a grain of salt is good here.

- I am not wild about the way you used your DJ drops. Is it the magic mix or a mix where you mention your DJ name every once in a while? Again, I am pretty obsessive about "narrative" in a mix, and I understand that DJs do drops like you do.. but I feel like they take away from the narrative. But if you call it the magic mix, I am not sure how the regulators vocal fits in, etc. etc..

- I like vocals, and understand that vocals are more common in commercial dubstep than in other genres. But it seemed like every track had a (thematically unrelated) vocal. When you don't give the vocals a chance to breathe in the mix, it can sound more like a series of songs than a continuous DJ mix.

- A similar programming note is that over the course of 30 minutes I personally am hoping for a progression like : a buildup, a peak, a plateau at that peak, and then a wind-down. I feel like I got the buildup and the peak but then it just sorta wound down from there?

- This last note is the one I've been most confused about how to explain... you say your background is in mixing deep house. In deep house mixing, you are focusing on gradual layering. In both Drum and Bass and especially brostep mixing, it is much more about the BUILDS and especially the DROPS. Maybe what I'm trying to say is "your mixing was smooth.. too smooth"?

All in all, a solid little mix, especially for your first try in this genre... but I feel like with a little bit of modification, it could be even better.

!!! AWESOMER !!!