new headphones suggestions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default new headphones suggestions

I'm in the market for new headphones but don't wanna splurge... preferably below $100. I have been looking at the Kicker HP541 and Koss Prodj100. Anyone have any thoughts on these in terms of performance and comfort? I plan on using these for listening to music in my room and when mixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee88Kay View Post
    I'm in the market for new headphones but don't wanna search... .
    There, I fixed it for you.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Tech Wizard

Oh I have searched... and researched... but there aren't that many reviews on these in particular. Not sure if these isolate well really.

what gear are you using?

Ah, then my apologies. Seemed like another "spoon-feed me" thread.

From experience I can recommend the AKG K518DJ. Well within the price-range, praised at Head-Fi for great and bassy sound, great isolation, loving it as a back-up headphone.

Headphone itself is built great, also pretty okay when stretched for a few days on a couple of books (clamping force is MASSIVE), but the cable.. it hasn't broken in the last 10 months but it feels rubbery (stretchy, which the leads in it aren't).

Good luck!
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Regular headphones: $99 Allen & Heath XD-40!
    Super light and transportable! Bass is a little lacking, isolation is fine but could be better, but I love them! Minimal design and super lightweight. Feel wonderful on my head.

IEM's: $99 Shure se215!
    Hands down the top IEM for $99. Dynamic driver, so boomy bass, but no armature drivers. Armature drivers (like Westone Um2 or Shure se425 will run you closer to $300 though...out of your price range, and mine! That's why I went with Shure se215. I'm no pro and not doing any big time club gigs, and I've read great things about the Shures for DJ'ing and non-djing. If you are doing huge clubs though, I'd go with the higher end IEM's.)

I have both and love them! Done!

Tech Wizard

save and buy quality
    try on alot of pairs
    find the one that feels the best
    use that

Quote Originally Posted by mSolace View Post
    save and buy quality
    try on alot of pairs
    find the one that feels the best
    use that
    ^ That

and...

If you really want a good pair you'd probably have to save because they're in the $100-250 range. If you really must get a pair below $100 I know some DJs that use:

Numark Redwave (Good value for money and has a lot of bass in a good way)
    Sony MDR V6 or MDR 7506 (I think Ean also uses or used to use these to DJ)
    Sony MDR V700 (You can get them for less than $100 on Amazon.com but there's an issue with the hinges cracking after a while. google it.)
    Pioneer HDJ-500 (Haven't really heard much about these)

If you want to spend a good amount of money:
    1) Pioneer HDJ-2000 (can't go wrong with these.)
    2) AIAIAI TMA-1 (Tried these. Good sound isolation and great sound quality and also durable from what I hear)
    3) Sennheiser HD25-1ii's (Had these and they're awesome yet understated)

I see a lot of top DJ's using one of those 3 pairs of headphones unless they were sponsored by another headphone company (like swedish house mafia using WESC headphones at the iTunes festival).

Hope that helped.
    Pioneer CDJ-350 (x2)
    Pioneer DJM-350
    KRK Rokit5 G2

I'm using a Reloop RHP-10 now for more than a year, the bass is just sick, and is isolates quite well, though it isn't build as solid as for example the Pioneer HDJ-2000, it is pretty good value for money, and if you don't throw it around it won't break. Personally i don't give a shit about the weight of these things, but there may be some dudes around with neck-muscle problems. If you are not, please ignore the weight. My RHP-10 came for 80 euros, dont know how much it will cost in dollars or on the cheap-ass site you are going to find it, look that up yourself.
    Just be warned that this headphone fits really tight. It is of course a DJ headphone and a tight fit is superb in a dj booth, but when you're listening or mixing at home you don't need that. Just don't think the first time you use them (if you are going to buy them of course) hell this thing is tight. 1: it loosens up after time. 2: you will get used to it.

I hope i informed you enough on this option, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions! i just returned from holidays so i should anwser pretty fast.
    SpeakerFreaker | E-MU Xboard 49 | Novation Launchpad | Korg Zero4 | CDJ-400's | Sennheiser HD-25 Adidas Originals | TSP 2 | Mac Pro | Soundcloud

For sub $100 I'd def go for the Pioneer HDJ 500's.

I've heard good things about them, and are excellent value for their price.

Another option you could take a look at is the Senn HD 205's. I had these before getting my 2000's, and they were great.

What I would say though is to try save a bit more $$$ if you can, and buy some better cans. Buying cheaper cans now will be ok for now, but later on you will want to upgrade and land up spending more cash in the long run.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast