ambitious midi table plans

Default ambitious midi table plans

Hello everyone, I've embarked on a rather ambitious plan to build a midi controller, but not of the regular type.

What I am looking to do is to take an ikea expedia 2x4 bookcase, (the kind most of you use) and turn the top into a large bedroom DJ and producing station. I will have drawings up soon, but I would like to have a mixer, 2 decks (set up for 4) a samples section, fx, loops and hotcues all built into the surface of the table. I am also looking into putting an 8x8 grid of arcade buttons to launch clips in ableton as well.

My goal is to have 2 separate "controllers" built into one, where one person can mix tracks, while the other runs ableton (2 separate laptops) but with one audio out running to the amp/speakers.

My question for all of you DIY controller builders is this: what features do you all like to put into your controllers? I am looking to add a lot of buttons, faders and knobs, as I know what I want, but as this is a large project, and I don't plan on modding my build later to add more buttons. So what do you guys see as essential features that you use, outside of the standard 2 decks and a mixer setup? I plan on mapping this to traktor and ableton.

Once I have the drawings posted, the idea may make more sense, however it has all been inside my head the last couple weeks.

Sounds good, but its hard to imagine wat you want, pictures would help!

Also does not sound mobile-friendly, but if you want a fixed station that's fine. Most of us pick and take controllers with us for various configurations.

Tech Wizard

Looking forward to seeing this! I've always liked those purpose built dj tables that sat flush against the 1210's/mixer, guessing this is gonna be a step further!
    2014 MBP Retina 15" / Maschine Studio / MM-1 / 2x X1 Mk2 / A2DJ / Rokit 5's