Opportuity vs Craft
    Tech Wizard

Default Opportuity vs Craft

For those that dont know I work on a cruise ship. Sadly as it might be, I probably am the most talented available dj on board. Our dj got fired, so there is an opening. I've thought about trying to pick up his spot, which has privileges and what not. The problem is, I really want to find my nitch as a bridge dj to the style I play. This job is not that, even if I drop 60% of what I consider a set I'm going to also most nights be playing club rap or disco for an audience that is questionable. Which isn't my cup of tea.
    The real question is how many of you would fist pump and take this gig? I've had friends that did it and loved it, kept the craft on the side, with me my craft is up front all the time (cooking) and music is the other passion, so I won't. Well maybe one party a week, but then I play my style.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

That's a tough one. Since you already have a craft then I'm tempted to say pass on the opportunity. The downside to that is opportunities could possibly pop up while DJ'ing.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Go for it mate

They are likely to ask you to do a trial period anyway, so it gives you chance to see if it's what you want to do.

Re: the music, it may not be to your taste, but it's great experience
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

I say go for it, if you embrace it you'll have fun. It's a steady paid gig and you are already on board of the ship, might as well do what you love to do even if the music isn't up to par.

As others said, it will be a great experience.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Wizard

I'm not even really considering it, too much to invest in clothing and music I don't like. Kind of tempting. Was more trying to see where other people hold the art of dj in their minds.

I say go for it!

And a wiser man than me shared this wisdom with us.

"Daddy what does regret mean?"
    "Well son, funny thing about regret. It's better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't. And if you see your mother this weekend, tell her SATAN SATAN SATAN!"

/edit Also this dilemma has been faced countless times by every rock band in the world. No one wants to play covers, but all the bars only want to hire cover bands. Heh