Still worth to buy a vci-100?

Default Still worth to buy a vci-100?

So, here I am at work, lunchbrake. Alot of things spinning around in my head for some weeks now, and it's not only the regular questions you want to answered as a 20 year old guy, like if I should go study or look for a new job or what to study, where to live, what to do etc.

No, the thoughts that have occupied my head lately is whether I should buy a vci-100 and go the digital route(would work since i have a brand-new macbook pro which i actually bought for using with traktor last christmas).
    or if I should use pioneer gear at home and advance my skills using them(like cdjs 400eds(already have the djm 400 home and i kind of like it).

Anyway, I'm on the crossroads, either I go ahead and buy either cdjs or i sell my djm and go digital. What I want to achieve as a DJ is only to keep it as a hobby, play at some clubs(good to know pioneer then) make some mixes, mashups, remixes at home(traktor better id say) and perhaps play at some private partys.

I had the S4 when it was brand-new and sure, I liked it but I don't need to do all the things you can do with it. And I went to work in a foreign country for a couple of months so I sold it.

Now I was thinking of getting another S4 or perhaps the vci, the vci althoguh seems alot cooler but then again I do not know how the productsupport and future updates will be?

I love the build of the vci and looks, but as I mentioned earlier im on a crossroad and I just have to decide which way i wanna go.

Any feedback is appreciated!

best regards,

Martin

Tech Wizard

I do not know much about other controllers out there in todays market and I have never owned an s4. But I have had my vci 100 for about 2 years now and it has treated me very well. So, I can tell you some of the things I love about my vci but I am afraid I cannot help beyond that.

Anyways here are the thing I like/love about my vci:
    #1 build quality: These things are built SOLID. I dont think you can get anything built as well as this in it's price range. The metal case can really take a beating, and looks good after it too. The faders and jogwheels are also very durable, and when they do break, its an easy fix due to all of the fantastic tutorials and support that comes from this website, which leads me to my next point.
    #2 djtechtools: for quite a while now this forum/blog has been devoted to this fabulous controller. In turn, support for just about any problem or modification that you have is easy to find and well explained. And who can't resist the awesome mappings... and of course there's disco mode .
    #3 portability: I love how this thing can fit in my backpack and will go just about anywhere.. and due to its durability it will withstand such travel. I am in the same situation as you in which I dj as a hobby mostly and occasionally will do a house party or other event. It works fantastically for this application. Mainly because I can put it away perfectly in a drawer in my room when I'm not using it and it won't clutter up the decor, but when its time to get down to business it handles everything perfectly.
    #4 performance and everything else: The vci performs just as well as any newer controller in any setting. It's only major downfall is the lack of a soundcard... but that is easily fixed. Otherwise every other feature is pretty much accounted for.

So all in all, I can highly recommend the vci. It may not have all of the features that the s4 has, but I think build quality and portability make up for that. Besides you can go out and buy an LPD8 or other controller with the money you save to handle the features, like sample deck, which the vci lacks. I currently run my vci with and LPD8 and it works perfectly. In, any case I have never owned the s4 or equivalent controller, but I do recommend the VCI. Good Luck!

Thanks for the answer!

Yes, it's truly a cool item to own. However I think I will go the cdj way, probably the 200eds because i already have a mixer at home which i like. The cdj 200 is quite cheap right now too.
    Who knows, might get both (if I could get my hands on a refurbished)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beijer View Post
    Thanks for the answer!

Yes, it's truly a cool item to own. However I think I will go the cdj way, probably the 200eds because i already have a mixer at home which i like. The cdj 200 is quite cheap right now too.
    Who knows, might get both (if I could get my hands on a refurbished)
    I've got one that might as well be brand new on this site in the buy and sell forums. Its in mint condition and has all the original packaging and not a single scratch on the unit. Oh! and it has firmware 1.4 preloaded and ready to go!

cool, ill pm you!