S4 and DVS

Thread: S4 and DVS

Default S4 and DVS

Hi everyone,

After reading this DJTT article about using the S4 as a DVS mixer I have been thinking constantly if this is what I need to become the next Shiftee (kidding). On a more serious note, I am a scratch DJ (with a lot of learning to do) and I know that supposedly the fader is not so hot on the S4. Can anybody comment on this? I'm currently using a hand-me-down Pioneer DJM-300 mixer.

I am a bedroom/private party DJ (read: plays for free at friends' parties) where booth space is not a concern.

Can anybody also explain what is meant by "Digital internal mixing means you lose all that forgiving analogue headroom on good mixers with compression per channel?"

I am surprised that youtube is not flooded with videos of people mixing DVS with an S4. Does anybody have any good links?

Cheers
    2xTechnics 1200 m3d. Traktor Pro. Audio 8. Kontrol X1. Akai MPD24 paper weight...

since you have technics and an x1. I would look into just getting a better mixer if I were you.

I'll look into finding some videos for you though

amidoinitrite

get a proper scratch mixer!
    DJM-909, Rane(SSL instead of traktor), Proper Vestax, even a Xone:02.
    Or any decent mixer + innofader

Tech Mentor

I've been looking at getting the s4 recently with the scratch pro offer. I'm not too into turntableism but I figured its a good offer and if I decide to go down the DVS rout in the future then at least I'm not going to have to fork out any more money.
    I would be interested in any videos floating around on the internet of the two being used together, I had a dig on youtube but didn't find anything that inspired me.
    Macbook, S4, Novation Launchpad, Korg nanoKontrol, TSP2, Ableton 8.

Quote Originally Posted by alexfells View Post
    I've been looking at getting the s4 recently with the scratch pro offer. I'm not too into turntableism but I figured its a good offer and if I decide to go down the DVS rout in the future then at least I'm not going to have to fork out any more money.
    I would be interested in any videos floating around on the internet of the two being used together, I had a dig on youtube but didn't find anything that inspired me.
    This is technically what I use. It works fine, I still haven't figured out a few kinks but remember all you're really doing is replacing the jog wheels with a ginormous spinning platter on each side.

amidoinitrite

Quote Originally Posted by alexfells View Post
    I can see your logic!
    Its definitely great for a budget DVS system.. TSP2 is $600+ itself.
    BUT.. also you have to consider the fact that if you do pick up TTs you're going to need your computer to play anything.
    If you're going to a club and they have a mixer you're going to need to bring the S4 as your sound card.

If that won't be a problem for you then go for it!

I found this video, although I don't think it is all too impressive but maybe that is just because it isn't my style.
    2xTechnics 1200 m3d. Traktor Pro. Audio 8. Kontrol X1. Akai MPD24 paper weight...

Tech Guru

Man I wouldn't hesitate to use the S4 as a main DVS setup. I have one and I love it, you are truly getting the best of both worlds. The crossfader is sick, and I even came from a Rane TTM 56s mixer. The best part about is the S4 is that when you have the room to use turntables, you can. When you just wanna be mobile and take it jam somewhere small you still have everything you need minus the tables.

Quote Originally Posted by mattinthebox View Post
    Hi everyone,

After reading this DJTT article about using the S4 as a DVS mixer I have been thinking constantly if this is what I need to become the next Shiftee (kidding). On a more serious note, I am a scratch DJ (with a lot of learning to do) and I know that supposedly the fader is not so hot on the S4. Can anybody comment on this? I'm currently using a hand-me-down Pioneer DJM-300 mixer.

I am a bedroom/private party DJ (read: plays for free at friends' parties) where booth space is not a concern.

Can anybody also explain what is meant by "Digital internal mixing means you lose all that forgiving analogue headroom on good mixers with compression per channel?"

I am surprised that youtube is not flooded with videos of people mixing DVS with an S4. Does anybody have any good links?

Cheers
    Traktor actually has a shit ton of headroom from what I've read.

Most people have to turn their master gain down considerably (-6-10 db) when mixing internally not to clip. I'm not sure why Ean wrote that in the article as there is really zero compression if you sample at 96000hz and are using WAV files and 24 bit processing.

I think traktor just does a real shit job of handling audio and the S4 soundcard blows. I don't think compression is the issue. My dn x1600 definitely sounds better than the S4 when recording. I can't tell much on regular output to my speakers but when listening to a recording the difference is huge. For some reason traktor's internal recorder sounds incredibly thin.