New hardware on the night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New hardware on the night

So i have been asked to DJ at my girlfriends formal (prom / homecoming / whatever you want to call it)

They want me to do an hour set - But they said that they didnt want me to use my own stuff, and i can just bring a usb and plug it into the resident DJ's laptop and use his Pioneer DDJ-S1.

I have never used a high level midi controller before, never lone using itch. I use my VestaxTyphoon + Korg Nanopad + TP2.

I was wondering, will it be a near vertical learning curve?

Thanks
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

You can also keep the mixing on the basic, simple levels... No effects or juggling, just keeping a solid mix. The functions you need for that are pretty much universal on every controller IMO.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

Tech Mentor

Ask to talk to the DJ with the Pioneer controller in advance.

There's no way I'd let a stranger turn up, plug in a USB stick & do a set on my gear. ....unless I knew & trusted them & had inspected the contents of their USB stick first.

Also. If it turns out the DJ's perfectly happy to do this. You may be able to meet up & have a practice on his gear in advance. If it definitely is happening, go to serato.com, download itch, & get all your music analysed & cue's / loops organised before the gig.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Quote Originally Posted by thisisian View Post
    Ask to talk to the DJ with the Pioneer controller in advance.

There's no way I'd let a stranger turn up, plug in a USB stick & do a set on my gear. ....unless I knew & trusted them & had inspected the contents of their USB stick first.

Also. If it turns out the DJ's perfectly happy to do this. You may be able to meet up & have a practice on his gear in advance. If it definitely is happening, go to serato.com, download itch, & get all your music analysed & cue's / loops organised before the gig.

Apparently i will be "under supervision" and im interested to see how this is going to work out :/
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

resident prom dj................................................ ............................wut?

Also if it was me i woulda told you to bring your own stuff. I dunno you and you sure aint gonna be sticking shit into my laptop.

wtf were they thinking?
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    resident prom dj................................................ ............................wut?

Also if it was me i woulda told you to bring your own stuff. I dunno you and you sure aint gonna be sticking shit into my laptop.

wtf were they thinking?
    word

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post

wtf were they thinking?
    They probably asked the DJ who is doing the event about it and he probably has a macbook so it's doubtful there will be any viruses on his USB stick. See there is this beautiful thing called insurance where if your shit gets messed up you get money. The DJ probably has it stipulated in his contract that the school must pay for any damaged equipment not from normal use which is why this kid is going to be under "close supervision." i.e. if he starts fuckin mashing the S1 and looking like an idiot the guy will pull him off so he doesn't break anything.

The guy would probably rather have him just stick a USB key in his laptop than risk the kid ruining his shit and going through the extra work of unplugging and plugging everything back in. Considering a USB stick will allow for a seamless changeover since the crate can be loaded beforehand it's not a bad idea.

Even if everything were insured it's still a massive pain in the hole. I'd certainly not let anyone I don't know use my gear and even if I did I'd spend a load of time telling them exactly what to do.

The whole re-wireing thing is rubbish, it's midi. It's swapping over ONE rca cable, nothing else.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Wizard

I know its important to get your name and your sound out there to the masses, but this just doesn't sound like something you should agree to.

I would rather spend my time with my gf at her formal.

You would have very little control if you set didn't come out the way you wanted. You would have some liability destroying someone else's equipment. You might even inadvertently sour your name a little if all hell breaks loose.

I, for one, would not work on completely different software on the night. No way.
    I'm all for learning how to use other equipment, broadening your horizons, but not in a live situation.

I would rather put in a performance that I know will be my best, that your GF can be proud of.

Surely he has a hardware mixer of some kind? Can you not plug into one of those channels?

You could also invest in a switchbox to circumvent the changeover worries: http://www.dv247.com/dj-equipment/ma...ital-dj--72845
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast