Thoughts on the Audio 8 DJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on the Audio 8 DJ

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on the Audio 8 Dj unit as a sound card.

I'm looking towards it as a sound card choice. While it is more than the P-Firebox, I like that I would have the option of integrating Traktor Scratch down the road if I come across a decent turntable setup on Craigslist. Also it's made by NI, so it has to be the most compatibly tested card for Traktor, right?

Most reviews are about Traktor Scratch, and they all say great things about the Audio 8 Dj, but I wanted to hear if anyone out there is using it, or has used it for controllerism setups.

Spew forth your advice!

Tech Guru

It's good hardware, but the drivers are featureless. This is OK when used for Traktor Scratch, but sad when you want to use it with other apps. No audio routing, mixer applet, or anything. Even freeware drivers (like the KX drivers and ASIO4ALL) have a better feature set than the A8DJ's drivers. Their AK1's drivers are similarly spartan.

So yes, it's a good interface. It's pretty stable and performs well enough. But their drivers pale in comparison to other similarly priced products.

might want to save 100 more bucks and check out a motu ultralite thats brand new

or go used!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTU-Ultralite_W...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by wgdavis78; 04-03-2008 at 10:33 AM.

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

Tech Guru

The Ultralite is a sick soundcard, and great for mobile recording of all kinds. But it would mean no Traktor Scratch for you. You might want to consider it and look into Mixvibe's Cross software when it's released.

It sounds like the motu ultralite is a great card for the Mac, but I'm on a PC, and I've read some reviews that seem to be a bit painful for PC users.

Anyone feelings on the Motu with a PC?

i have a dell xps m1710...was the top end dell laptop for a while...it works great...however the mac has an advantage as the motu can be bus powered...meaning you dont need to plug it in a wall socket...however...i run the motu on a laptop and it works great. i highly reccomend it.

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

Well I have an Audio8 and quite frankly, I think it's "O.K."

I get clicks and pops in some of my songs. I hate it. HATE IT. (and yes, I've tried everything they've posted in NI's forums)

But when I'm playing with DJS3.3 and my Saffire LE, I have NO ISSUES. Same laptop.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Well I have an Audio8 and quite frankly, I think it's "O.K."

I get clicks and pops in some of my songs. I hate it. HATE IT. (and yes, I've tried everything they've posted in NI's forums)

But when I'm playing with DJS3.3 and my Saffire LE, I have NO ISSUES. Same laptop.

Grrrrrrrrrrr
    mmmm that's strange. It works well on my PC (PIV - 2.8MHz no HT or core duo.. with 512MB RAM 5-6years old) and latency set as default (about 7.5ms) and no pops even 2 songs playing with master and both channels effects on.

In computing 1+1 not 2.. the problem could be any thing... software, hardware problem.. maybe USB?

Thanks to this problems computer technicians earn some money

Quote Originally Posted by wgdavis78 View Post
    i have a dell xps m1710...was the top end dell laptop for a while...it works great...however the mac has an advantage as the motu can be bus powered...meaning you dont need to plug it in a wall socket...however...i run the motu on a laptop and it works great. i highly reccomend it.
    Hey Wgdavis, are you satisfied with your Dell xps m1710?

I've been watching them on ebay, and they are deffinetly more bang for your buck than a mac book. (I'm not even going to start the mac vs pc fire, so everyone shut your face) From a pure economics standpoint, they look like a good deal.

Currently I have a Compaq Evo N610c
    1.8 ghz proc
    1 gb RAM
    only 2 USB ports

It works for practicing with my Oxygen 8. I'm first looking to invest in a VCI-100, and a good soundcard. If I have minor latency issues while practicing in my room, fine, but at least I can practice. When technique gets more demanding, then I'll look into upgrading the laptop.

But I have been watching those XPS 1710's, and they sound like a sweet deal for $800-900 used!

Tech Wizard

Audio 8...

I have one and I love it! And I'm using it on a 1GHZ computer with no prob.

-dJ dAb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast