Little dilema
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little dilema

Tech Mentor

Default Little dilema

Recently i've been playing with the idea of a DVS setup incorporating a Kontrol X1, Maschine, 2 Technics SL 1200's (which i've found a really good deal on a pair), thats when I hit my problem, the mixer. Preferably I want a traktor certified mixer so i've been looking at a Denon DNX-1600, Pioneer DJM T1 or since it can kinda be used as a mixer the S4.

I'll go into the features I like about each;

The Denon is a 4 channel mixer so that gives me more options if I want to use 4 decks or ever expand into the realms of CDJ.

The Pioneer has the most user friendly looking interface for me mainly because of how the sample deck buttons are laid out I really like that, and i'm quite fond of the toggle library feature on the mixer.

The S4 is the traktor all in one package and combined with my other NI gear it'd be a beast of a controller and it has the best overall layout.

I know each as there problems and the issues I know about for each wont stop me getting any of them, eg the size of the s4.

So guys, you're the experts, help me out?

Cheers Towifer
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

Tech Mentor

if you currently have an audio card, I think a standalone mixer will give you better performance and footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by sardu View Post
    if you currently have an audio card, I think a standalone mixer will give you better performance and footprint.
    Not to mention your bank account will be a lot lot happier.

Tech Mentor

What would you sugest then? And since its stuff I want I don't mind paying the money for quality equipment.
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

The Denon mixer is most definitely a proper quality mixer and has a ton of options. I like that you can switch to midi controls per channel by the flick of a switch instead of double assigning the buttons with hard coded mixer var's plus midi signals. Also, I like the extra midi strip with endless rotaries which has 4 banks. If you're used to an X1, you can definitely appreciate the possibilities of hardware assigned banks of midi - loads more options in the mapping department.

I own it's little brother, and i must say the effects are quite cool too. I tend to use those a lot more than the traktor ones now, since they're closer to reach and give me a bit more flexibility, channel-assing-wise.

In short: de Denon should be considered as a serious alternative, especially considering the pricetag. The Pioneer does give you cool midi possibilities, but does that really justify the price tag for you?
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Tech Mentor

Yeah i've been looking at the DNX-600 and it looks like a quality mixer for the price tag!

The pioneer is the one that I 'like' the most overall, but like you said the price tag is really putting me off £1250 for a 2 channel mixer is insane!

So what about the S4 does that even hold a torch to these 'real' mixers?
    Website Soundcloud Email

Oh yeah, by the way, what you're in is not so much a dillemma, more of a freaking luxury
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Tech Mentor

Your right! I'm lucky enough to have a good job and still be young enough to live at home and not had loads of responsibilities so I can spend my money on cool shit!
    Website Soundcloud Email

If you're leaning towards a mixer, I really wouldn't consider a s4 as one of them.
    Apart from the obvious, the size and height kinda disqualifies it to put it between beautiful technics.

Tech Mentor

I see where your coming from, I also want some sample deck controls which both the pioneer and s4 give me.

I do see the downfalls of the size of the s4 but combined with my maschine and x1 it'd be a great combo.

I want to hear some hands on use of the djm t1.
    Website Soundcloud Email

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast