Would you take this gig?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Would you take this gig?

I volunteered to to an event with a friend, it's a afternoon employee picnic at the lake. I won't be getting paid for this.

Here's the problem, one of the organizers asked for a track list so she could look it over and approve it. [Umm, I don't play off a list, that's what iPods are for...] Gave her a list to give her a rough idea of what we play, and she didn't like it. She asked if we could play country or alternative. [No, because that stuff is wack] She then asked if she could give us an flash drive with music on it and have us play off that. [Hell to the no! You want to pick the songs, you bring your own turntables and speakers.]

I still kinda want to do this, kinda want to bail. I probably could sit down and have a chat where I explain what a DJ is and what we do, promise to keep everything clean, and see how that goes, or I could call her a control freak and leave them hanging. This might lead to more gigs, and more recognition at work, but is it worth the trouble? I had a bad time at a wedding when I played a song that wasn't on "The List" and I told myself I'd never do that kind of gig again. What would you do? What should I say to her?

Tell her to Fuck off! Seriously, why on earth would you want to play this gig? It seems a total no no!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

They want a jukebox, not a DJ. Personally, I would let it go.

I would drop it.
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

Hmmmm, kinda depends on how much your job depends on it. Do I understand it correctly that it is an employee picnic of the company you or your friend work at?

If it was me and I knew it wouldn't be an employment problem, I'd probably pull out in a polite way, explaining that I volunteered for something I could do, and that what is now expected from me is not what I do, so I probably wouldn't do a good job anyway.

Tricky stuff, this.

All they need is an iPod.

Just get a laptop plug it on, and put a playlist on. Make yourself look busy.
    | HP Laptop | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Akai MPD24 & LPD18 | Pioneer HDJ-1500 | AKG K181 | 2x Stanton C.324 |

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey1B View Post
    Just get a laptop plug it on, and put a playlist on. Make yourself look busy.
    Not worth the effort. He isn't going to be paid, he isn't going to be acknowledged too much by the crowd, and I'm preeeeeeeetty sure there won't be anyone scoping thew new hottest dj.

Long story short: I wouldn't bother. Tell her politely that isn't what you do and have them bring in their own speakers and an ipod.

Tech Guru

Tell her you'll play everything she wants and then dont, what is she goina do since you arent getting paid, just make sure you rock it...
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

^^^ this ^^^

im in excatly the same position, im doing a charity event organised by a friend of mine's parents, about 500 people there and for a really big company. i was asked 2 months ago if i could do it, said yes and now theyre saying they want something completely different to what i play, they want utter shite! im gonna play what they want for a few hours and then just smash it i mean ive gotta have fun too
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast