Submerging Sunset (Deep House)
    Tech Wizard

Default Submerging Sunset (Deep House)

Finally a new mixtape. Hope you like it! I sure dig some comments!

Tracklist:
    1. Baited Breath - Vincenzo
    2. After Rain Comes Sun (Joris Voorn Dusty Dub Stab Mix) - Solomun
    3. Love Recycled 1 - Solomun
    4. Ocean Of Voices - Arthur Deep
    5. 1988 - Youandewan
    6. Nexxt - Mulder
    7. Black & Light - Aki Bergen
    8. Go For Your Funk - The Clover
    9. Strandbar Berlin (Bjoern Stoerig Remix) - Oliver Koletzki & Fran
    10. I'm Into This (Andre Crom & Martin Dawson Remix) - Homework
    11. The Beginning (Gorge Remix) - James Talk
    12. Pack Of Rhodes - Mark Reeve
    13. Grooveside Dub - Koen Lebens
    14. Deep Touch (Karol XVII & MB Valence Loco Mix) - Groove Cocktail
    15. Every Cow Has A Bird - Guti & Dubshape
    16. Pain Tomorrow - Detroid Swindle
    17. Sketch Drive - Pierre LX
    18. Bitter Sweet - Kink
    19. Boomslang - Aki Bergen
    20. Humming Bird - Maya Jane Coles
    21. Inbetween - Mathias Mesteno
    22. Calin Cale - Joris Delacroix
    Macbook Pro 15'' / Traktor Kontrol S4

Tech Wizard

Nobody?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    Nobody?
    Actually, I listened to and enjoyed your mix on the day you posted it.

I liked it so much, in fact, that I left it up in my browser, so I would download it to listen to it again on a better set of speakers. I listened today on the Klipsches with the sub turned off, while doing chores around the house. Here's my feedback from the second listen.

- I like the intro track, really appropriate deep progression. I appreciate the track selection in general. When I play house or listen to it, this is the style I like. So in a way, it's remarkable that I enjoy your taste as much as I do, as usually familiarity "breeds contempt" as they say?

- Most of your transitions are quite good, though there are a handful of cases where the levels seemed off or the mix drifted ever so slightly. Not anything most non-DJ listeners would notice at all. I think sometimes you were not necessarily "ducking" the high end enough and it ended up EVER SO SLIGHTLY BUSY up there when you were mixing two tracks. Harmonically I feel like your progression and blends all made sense.

- I feel like your mixing faded a bit into the background for me. I like when I can sometimes hear "hey... the DJ just DID something!" and I think joe typical listener probably does too. I understand that with deep house the priority is being smooth.. but it is after all a *DJ* mix.. I want to hear a bit more of the DJ here, and not just his musical taste..

- I think you also have a tendency to be EVER SO SLIGHTLY louder overall when mixing two tracks.. which is pretty common and can be on purpose.. but is slightly noticable.

- I might have heard one time where you looped in traktor (?) and it sounded like a loop?

- I like the frequency of vocal or recognizable melody elements (like the hall and oats hook, etc.). Deep house can get a bit faceless without these elements as anchors, and I think you did a good job here.

- All that said, the mix was a little long for my personal taste. I feel like if you had wound it down around an hour or so, it would have more overall punch.

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Awesomer you really are awesomer. Great review, again!! Maybe one day when I do a half decent set you can do the same for me.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Indeed a great review Awesomer. I'm glad you like it I wouldn't say that this is my style though, I'm still developing in that respect. I do though have grown into deep tunes more and more, though when producing I notice a strong desire to give my own tracks (which are far from complete, so there isn't anything to listen to... yet...) a very strong melody. To make them not just repetitive parts (loops for that matter) of music but whole that is tempting to listen to at any moment of the song.

But to come back to the mix, in order for me to get better, I was wondering if it is possible for you to put some of these comments as timed comments in the mix so that I know what you are referring to exactly.

In special I'm wondering where you noticed the following:
    - What you mean with being ''too slight'' (suggestion #2 and #4)
    - The loop you mean in suggestion #5
    Last edited by Sonarious; 08-18-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Tech Mentor

I think Awesomer put it best with his review, all I will say is nice track selection which to me is the most important part of a set.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    But to come back to the mix, in order for me to get better, I was wondering if it is possible for you to put some of these comments as timed comments in the mix so that I know what you are referring to exactly.

In special I'm wondering where you noticed the following:
    - What you mean with being ''too slight'' (suggestion #2 and #4)
    - The loop you mean in suggestion #5
    The "slightly too busy" and "slightly too loud comments" will be relatively hard for me to time. They occur throughout the mix when you have two tracks playing at nearly full volume simultaneously.

The "busy" stuff I mean "ducking" the hi end and mid range so that you don't get "too many hihats" or "too much snare".

The "slightly too loud" is just overall volume when two tracks are playing. Do you tend to "duck" the track you are mixing out of when the new one is brought to 100%?

I will try to listen and hear specific times, especially for comment #5 about the "loop", the next time I listen to your mix.
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt