Talk me through this
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Talk me through this

So, I just brought back my s4.

The S4 is amazing. However, I don't really like where the controller world is going so I decided to take it back. Some many controllers are coming out so fast its just mesmerizing.

This video explains how I feel about the customization of controllers:
    http://designative.info/2010/02/08/w...e-talk-at-ted/

Last weekend I found the time to repair the micro switches in my cdj800MKII. Works like a charm now. I bought a very low wattage soldering iron and soldered new switches into the board. It took forever to get the iron to heat up but I figured if it barely melted the solder it wouldn't damage any components. I've decided that I'm going to start burning cds until I can afford CDJs with jump drive compatibility.

So right now I'm spinning together tracks on two cdj800s and a denon x120.

So here's where I wanna know what everyone thinks.

I'm very limited to purchasing second hand equipment. Mainly because I'm probably going to need to finance whatever I buy a little bit. (My glasses just broke into two from taking them off my face UGHHH)

I'm going to wait patiently to see what becomes of the Behringer Nox mixers next month because that would save me a load of money. So I got probably a month before I make a decision(gives me some time to get the beatmatch fine tuned).

If behringer falls short or can't curve my decision enough, I'm looking at the pioneer stamp.

I've looked all over the internet that may be reasonably obtainable to me and I could not come across a djm-800.

There is a DJM-800 at L&M but its 1850 plus bullshit.

The DJM-900 is 1999+bullshit

The DJM-2000 is 2300+bullshit

It seems to me its just as well to go for the 900 due to how steep the 800 is.

But if I'm going to drop it. Its only a 300 dollar price difference between the 900 and 2000.

So 800 is pretty well out of the question (unless I can find it for second hand).

The 900 is pretty much what I'm looking at right now. I never actually seen the djm-2000 in person. They both have soundcards in them so either choice will enable me to never have to use soundcards again. I like that the 2000 has a wet/dry for the color effects, but the rest may be over kill.

Thats like the same thing with the cdj900vs2000. at L&M theres only a 200 difference in the price. You'd think that it be at least 500 in the difference of price.

Right now alot of the quantize features wont be usable because my cdjs are only 800's and no record box. but the effects are not really that important, so that means that djm-2000 would probably be redundant.

What do you think about it all?

I realize is probably a beat to death topic but I don't really have anyone to have this conversation but the DJTT community. There you have it.
    Last edited by Ryan Leo; 08-12-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Amazon ships to newfoundland, right? $1700 for a DJM900 there - http://amzn.to/nzrBlG

Used 800s usually go for about ~$1000

It seems a bit odd that you're saying that you're strapped for cash and wanting to finance gear yet you're looking at top end kit pricewise. Maybe I'm misunderstanding things but you might want to reconsider that.

Just to clarify as I'm a bit confused by a couple points in your post - you just want to play on CDJs and a mixer with no software, right?
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 08-12-2011 at 07:13 PM.

I don't know what you should do, but THANKS for sharing that video. Really really insightful and I definitely agree on many of his points. Really applies to Gear Acquisition Syndrome (a recent topic always floating around here).
    "Listening to Techno without bass is like trying to get yourself off without using your hands."
    My music blog: www.thevlyhouse.com

I too am confused on what you are asking from us.

However, I would look into the Novation Twitch if you are still interested in controllers.

/That said Ryane Clowe is my favorite Newfie

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I have a dual opinion regards this guy's video, but it certainly applies to finding good tunes to buy.

OT: Keep looking for a used 800 or look into what other brands offer, the dry/wet knob doesn't justify the overkill of the rest of the functions. Being the industry standard doesn't always means it's the best you can get for your money. Pio's prices are insane and personally I find it spending so much money (specially if it's financed) in something you might or might not use not so smart. Make an informed decision and spend your money on things you need, not crave.

Tech Guru

there are 12 djm800s listed in this first page alone:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...4&_sop=1&_sc=1
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Dnx1600
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I got my DJM-800 in absolutely mint condition second hand on ebay for £670. At current exchange rates that is indeed about $1000, but if you take into account the fact that USD prices don't fluctuate with the strength of the GBP, in real terms it's less than that.

All I did was spend a few weeks watching all the 800s on ebay until I got one at a good price. It was local pickup only and happened to be really near me, which always tends to lower the price.

Just hang on until you get lucky is my advice. Unless you can afford a 900. I've played on a 2000 but it's not for me. Even with money being no object I'd much prefer a good quality standard 12" mixer like the 900 or Xone DB:4. But that's just me.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

that video was very cool - had to watch it the whole way through. sorry i can't be any help on your actual issue tho
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

I think shipping would kill the deals coming from across the water like that.

I find it easier to pay something off over time. Dropping a large bill on a single item can be paralyzing in other areas.

I just need to hear someone elses input on the situation is all. Anything helps.

I don't plan on relying on my laptop to DJ, at least in the near future. I feel like I am symptomatic of midimapitis. I'm buying controllers, mapping them and then buying another one and mapping it. Always thinking of the optimum mapping and not the optimum mixing. I care to much of how I do rather then what I do.

I've been doing some mixing with two cd players and the x120 mixer and its pretty fun. Struggling with the beat matching is also a good time as well.

I was over looking at the DJM-900 on friday. Its beautiful. I almost took it home with me then and there. I feel like I should restrain myself for a little while longer.

Maybe I should look at things in a more practical manner. If I'm still satisfied with just straight up 2 channel mixer with no effects at all. Maybe I should stay here until I feel I have pushed it as far as it can go rather then expanding all ready.

I really like the idea of having songs on usb discs. Maybe an upgrade to cdjs with usb like the 350s would be a better upgrade at the time being.

Like I said in the thread title.. talk me through this.. haha!
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast