Making a touch sensitive jog wheel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Making a touch sensitive jog wheel?

Hi,
    I'm on the process of making a midi controller similar to the cdj series. I've figured out how to do everything except for this. I want to add touch sensitivity in my jog wheel but I can't figure out how to do that. I somehow need to connect electronics(a capacitive sensor) inside the wheel to the inside of the controller but I can't figure out how. Cables are ruled out, they will get tangled after a turning the wheel a bit. The only way I have though of is to have a completely separate circuit inside the wheel with a rechargable LiPo battery of a couple of Ah and whenever I touch the wheel, a series of leds would light underneath the wheel(probably IR) and there would be another series of IR receivers mounted on the main body of the controller which would transmit the signal to the microcontroller. However this reminds me of a Rube Goldberg machine and I was hoping that someone might have a simpler way of doing this.
    Thanks

the icon idj i recently picked up just has some metal that goes down to the bottom of the controller and then makes contact with a circular surface there - seems to work ok.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Yeah, I also though about something similar, I'm worried about noise(electrical) though. Is it easy to take some photos?
    Thanks for answering

Quote Originally Posted by kostis12345 View Post
    Yeah, I also though about something similar, I'm worried about noise(electrical) though. Is it easy to take some photos?
    Thanks for answering
    sure, i'll take a couple later and post on that other thread - someone else has already asked for some just to see what's inside.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

What are you using for the jog wheel? If your using a capacitive touch sensor it shouldn't need to be attached to the jog wheel.It just has to be under the platter
    The Djtt Psychic Network has closed for the day. If you need help from the non-psychic members of the forum, you need to be more specific
    http://soundcloud.com/djsidetrakd
    Check out my midifighter extreme!! http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014

yep that one

Quote Originally Posted by sidetrakd View Post
    What are you using for the jog wheel? If your using a capacitive touch sensor it shouldn't need to be attached to the jog wheel.It just has to be under the platter
    true - 99% sure that the metal rotates with the jog wheel on the idj - it's a pretty cheap controller tho - i only paid 100quid for it

Quote Originally Posted by sidetrakd View Post
    *Facepalm* Oh yeah! I just make a circular conductive area with a hole in the middle to let the axis of the wheel through(I'm making the wheel using a HDD motor, link at the bottom) and then I mount that to the main body. Thanks a lot

Link for the HDD motor controller:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHgAbA7qq0w

I just make a circular conductive area with a hole in the middle to let the axis of the wheel through
    Exactly! you may have to have gnd's running around your conductive area though to avoid interference. Maybe shield the motor? Hopefully it will just work and you wont have to do too much! Good luck
    The Djtt Psychic Network has closed for the day. If you need help from the non-psychic members of the forum, you need to be more specific
    http://soundcloud.com/djsidetrakd
    Check out my midifighter extreme!! http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014

Thanks a lot I'll make a new thread documenting my progress when I start

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast