My first DJ Mix

Thread: My first DJ Mix

Tech Student

Cool My first DJ Mix

Check is out y'all, the first "real" DJ mix, although I am sure some would disagree since it was made using ableton haha don't hate I am sexually attracted to my copy of ableton suite. So this mix is about ten minutes (no shit) starts off with some dub, progresses to some electro-y dubsteppy tunage and ends up with a couple a remixes that i mashed up (vocals over a beat). Its a little slow to get going, but I think the beginning sounds quite chill and the end gets to be pretty jammin. I'd like all your opinions.

As well, I basically produce, record mixes, etc. all in Ableton Suite 8 with a plethora of midi controllers. However, I would really like to get into a standard form of djing, I just love the idea of on the fly mixing (no warping!). I hear beatmatching is hard, but honestly, if you are dealing with electronic music with a BPM range of + or - 5, I can't see how difficult adjusting tempos gets. I seem to drift more towards the CDJ route, despite insane pricing, I would probably just end up using serato with them anyway. I know midi controlleres are a favorite here, although I feel as if they are somehow emasculating. I have considered the novation twitch, but I'd really like to build djing skills on the "wheels of steel" platform and learn to beatmatch, at least for now. Id love to hear the djtt community's opinions. HIT ME UP.
    Last edited by Jester; 08-15-2011 at 12:04 AM.

Fixed your link dude. Be sure to post in the "Introduce Yourself" thread as well Welcome to techtools mate !
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Student

Thanks man! How do you link it in that way? What'd you think of the mix? Alroitey!

Paste your URL in the advanced message editor, highlight the link, click on the soundcloud icon and Boom! Instant player in your post. Will have a listen in a sec, am about to hook up to the amp anyway
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Student

Alrighty thanks! I just love helpful mods on great forums! I am quite curious as to how my mix would sound on a system that was actually good haha! Keep me updated Jester.

Tech Convert

Maybe stop using the filter so much?

I liked it Just keep an eye on your levels dude. There's heaps of talented Dubstep crew hanging around here somewhere you'll fit in nicely. Look forward to hearing a full length mix from you in the near future.

Tech Student

Alright thanks haha I will. As It was in ableton I did a lot of arrangement view editing, so my mixing was iffy i used a lot of limiters in lieu of riding them faders. Yeah Dubstep is quite the "in" genre ahah. Yup, I am hoping to get some "proper" dj setup, whatever that means. If I am looking for something a little more traditioinal than ableton in the 400-800 dollar range, hardware or software related, what do you recommend?

Tech Convert

download traktor and buy a used vci 100