UMC 32 LED support??

Default UMC 32 LED support??

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and as far as I have searched there are no other threads like like this but I apologise in advanced if there has. I am planning on building a midi controller using a Hale UMC 32 and I was wondering whether it was possible to incorporate LED's to the same capacity as the midifighter (LED for everybutton with similar functions). I have worked with circuits a little bit and am confident with soldering so if anyone has experience your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Not sure about the UMC 32 but have you considered the Highly Liquid CPU instead? It supports the same kind of I/O but is a bit cheaper.

I haven't ever seen this board, I'm building mine using an Arduino and the next one I build is probably going to be based on a ChipKit Max32 by diligent. The latter has more I/O(83) than arduino mega(70) , runs at 80 MHz(arduino mega runs at 16) and it's architecture is 32bit(arduino is 8bit) and best of all it is compatible with the arduino IDE. I'm just waiting for confirmation that it can be run as a USB MIDI device and I'll purchase it. You could use that.
    If you really want to use UMC 32 this is what I got from their website:
    The UMC32+ will also translate data from your MIDI host application into logic levels for driving LEDs, Relays and more. Easy to implement with little or no electronics experience
    http://www.halemicro.com/Products/Products.html

EDIT: Found this while browsing the forums:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26660
    Look at the UMC32 Part
    Last edited by kostis12345; 08-15-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Cheers for the feed back.

Kostis12345, does Arduino directly produce midi data or do you need extra software to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Elfarez View Post
    Cheers for the feed back.

Kostis12345, does Arduino directly produce midi data or do you need extra software to do that?

No, unfortunately it does not. This is also one of the reasons that I'll probably use chipKit in my next project. It runs on a PIC which can produce midi data.
    For my current project I eliminated the need for intermediary serial-to-midi software by using a midi to usb cable as described in this tutorial:
    http://shiftmore.blogspot.com/2010/0...-over-usb.html

EDIT: I just received an email from diligent. It seems chipKit suffers from the same problems as arduino. It outputs serial data not midi...
    Last edited by kostis12345; 08-16-2011 at 02:33 PM.