MY first track - Need Masses of feedback - dubstepish
    Tech Wizard

Default MY first track - Need Masses of feedback - dubstepish

Hi Everybody

I have spent a few days or so making a track - I would really appreciate some feedback. I am a noob so I need a lot of feedback or advice on it.

I appreciate its not epic or anything so i would appreciate all the things i have done wrong pointing out so i can improve

Thanks in advance

Tech Mentor

I listened to your track on my Macbook speakers a few times while taking a break from finding the cure for cancer in my back yard. No seriously, I was sitting on the couch eating pudding. Well, Soy Yoghurt, but close enough right?? Anyway, here's my feedback in bullet point form..

- I like that you didn't go overboard with the dubstep filtered build intro, but still had a decent build/intro into the first drop.

- ~3:30 is a bit short for a track which you might want someone to DJ with, specially when :30 of that is intro or breakdown.

- I like the basic bass/drum pattern from the first "verse" but it seems to stall out a bit in terms of energy. I hear you progressing in terms of your drum elements (for example you add a snare for the second 16 bars of the first "verse") but it doesn't subjectively sound as if the track changes much at that point. Maybe if you change up the "foundation" bass or drums a little bit?

- I like the breakdown and the second drop, especially the way you used the (slightly quiet?) vocal and the fact that the drums get more complicated then they were before the breakdown. I like the counterpunctual drum stuff that starts around 2:30. Maybe if this stuff were used a bit more throughout it could provide that additional complexity/variety that seems lacking?

- I feel your track is currently pretty repetitive, and when all instruments are playing at all times and repeating repeatedly, the energy can get sucked out pretty quick.

- In summary, I like the overall sound and feel like this is solid for a very first effort. It is currently relatively compositionally simplistic and ends up a bit dull as a result, but I feel it has potential.

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Tech Wizard

Wow!

Thank you so so much for the extensive feedback! I appreciate the song isn't that good but your feedback is awesome. It is a bit short because I just wanted to get it done and never planned to DJ with it.

Thanks for pointing out all the good things and bad things I have made a short list of your main points and saved it I think i am gonna have a reference folder on my computer for improvements.

Time to start work on a more complex and less repetitive one

Thanks so much!